Ravell Call, Deseret News Archives
BULLFROG MARINA, Kane County — The body of a Salt Lake man who went missing Tuesday was recovered at Bullfrog Marina in Lake Powell on Thursday.
The victim was identified as Alec McQueen, 22.
On Tuesday, McQueen and three friends were boating in the Bullfrog area. When they returned to the dock about 7 p.m., the driver turned off the boat and McQueen jumped into the water. The driver saw McQueen in the water a few feet behind the boat, but when she looked again seconds later, she couldn't see him, according to the Kane County Sheriff's Office.
The two friends called 911 when they couldn't locate McQueen, and emergency personnel from the National Park Service and Utah State Parks soon responded. Because it was late in the day, emergency crews decided to initiate a search the next morning.
On Wednesday, the National Park Service Lake Powell dive team attempted to use an underwater robot and sonar to locate McQueen. After the sonar malfunctioned, three divers went into the water and searched the area at a depth of about 90 feet. There was no visibility for the divers, who made several unsuccessful passes feeling along for any sign of the man.
The search continued Thursday morning when a dive team and robot equipment from the Summit County Sheriff's Office was deployed in the area. McQueen's body was located 113 feet below the surface about 7:30 a.m. The National Park Service divers retrieved the body, which was taken to the Utah State Medical Examiner's Office.
The cause of the man's disappearance remained under joint investigation Thursday.
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Doug Robinson: Utah's Glen Hanson has had an...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- President Packer's enduring legacy includes...
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in state...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 64
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 39
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 24
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12
- Rubio, Christie planning sleepover with... 12