Charges filed in shooting death on Ute Indian reservation
Geoff Liesik, Deseret News
FORT DUCHESNE, Uintah County — Charges have been filed against a man suspected of killing one person and wounding two others in a shooting Wednesday on the Uintah and Ouray Indian Reservation.
Grant Hubert Checora is charged in Ute Tribal Court with criminal homicide and an aggravated weapons offense.
Checora, 21, is accused of shooting at a group of people during a confrontation that happened just before 2 a.m. Wednesday in Fort Duchesne's Little Chicago subdivision. Evan Cuch, 23, was wounded and died a short time later at Uintah Basin Medical Center in Roosevelt.
One teen was treated for gunshot wounds at the hospital as well, sources told the Deseret News. His condition was not known Thursday. A second teen was apparently grazed by a bullet and did not require treatment, authorities said.
The FBI and Bureau of Indian Affairs would not confirm Thursday that charges had been filed against Checora or discuss any other aspects of the case, including a possible motive. But a post on Checora's Facebook page Wednesday morning may offer a clue.
"Calling all homies to Fort Duchesne," Checora apparently wrote in the post. "(N-word) gonna get it for hitting my women and my brother and sister-in-law. We gonna post up for these dumb (n-word) who wanna jump me and my family. If y'all got my back."
Ambulance crews were seen treating Checora's girlfriend, brother and sister-in-law for injuries suffered in an alleged assault while federal agents investigated the shooting late Wednesday morning. The trio did not go to the hospital by ambulance and their injuries did not appear to be life-threatening.
Checora is being held in the Duchesne County Jail on the tribal court charges. The FBI and Bureau of Indian Affairs continue to investigate the case and are expected to present it to the U.S. Attorney's Office for possible prosecution in federal court.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- Video: Man uses 'random acts of pasta' to...
- Lawmakers to rehash Utah's stillbirth law due...
- Warrant reveals new details into BYU soap or...
- Shoppers skip turkey for a shot at...
- A new way to love: Spouses become caregivers...
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- In NYT column, Arthur C. Brooks discusses BYU...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 71
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 38
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 34
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 28
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 28
- Utah lawmakers contemplate law... 27
- Proposed tax increase a 'bold move' for... 27