Charges filed in shooting death on Ute Indian reservation
Geoff Liesik, Deseret News
FORT DUCHESNE, Uintah County — Charges have been filed against a man suspected of killing one person and wounding two others in a shooting Wednesday on the Uintah and Ouray Indian Reservation.
Grant Hubert Checora is charged in Ute Tribal Court with criminal homicide and an aggravated weapons offense.
Checora, 21, is accused of shooting at a group of people during a confrontation that happened just before 2 a.m. Wednesday in Fort Duchesne's Little Chicago subdivision. Evan Cuch, 23, was wounded and died a short time later at Uintah Basin Medical Center in Roosevelt.
One teen was treated for gunshot wounds at the hospital as well, sources told the Deseret News. His condition was not known Thursday. A second teen was apparently grazed by a bullet and did not require treatment, authorities said.
The FBI and Bureau of Indian Affairs would not confirm Thursday that charges had been filed against Checora or discuss any other aspects of the case, including a possible motive. But a post on Checora's Facebook page Wednesday morning may offer a clue.
"Calling all homies to Fort Duchesne," Checora apparently wrote in the post. "(N-word) gonna get it for hitting my women and my brother and sister-in-law. We gonna post up for these dumb (n-word) who wanna jump me and my family. If y'all got my back."
Ambulance crews were seen treating Checora's girlfriend, brother and sister-in-law for injuries suffered in an alleged assault while federal agents investigated the shooting late Wednesday morning. The trio did not go to the hospital by ambulance and their injuries did not appear to be life-threatening.
Checora is being held in the Duchesne County Jail on the tribal court charges. The FBI and Bureau of Indian Affairs continue to investigate the case and are expected to present it to the U.S. Attorney's Office for possible prosecution in federal court.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: GeoffLiesik
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- Pleasant Grove homeowner shoot, kills man in...
- Report highlights earth-shattering increases...
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- 11 signs you're a Jeep driver
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 32
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 14
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 12
- Attorney: Woman on trial in deputy's... 10
- Jury convicts San Juan County... 10