Salt Lake Community College names new director of athletics
Ravell Call, Deseret News
Salt Lake Community College announced Thursday that Kevin Dustin will replace Norma Carr as its director of athletics.
Dustin will start his new position overseeing the school's athletic program on July 1. The Bruins compete in five sports: men’s and women’s basketball, softball, women’s volleyball and baseball.
“We are excited to have someone of Kevin Dustin’s caliber joining the SLCC athletic program. I believe Kevin will carry on Norma Carr’s legacy of leading the athletic program with integrity,” SLCC interim Vice President of Student Services Nancy Singer said in a news release.
“His development experience, high school athletics experience and his ability to build collaborative partnerships will serve the college and our student-athletes well.”
Dustin was most recently an assistant director at the Utah High School Activities Association; he has worked there since 2009, serving as a director for baseball, basketball, football, golf and theater, according to the UHSAA.
"We are excited for Kevin's new experience, but his friendship and leadership will be missed by our staff and member schools. His dedication and commitment to education-based activities has been outstanding," UHSAA Executive Director Rob Cuff said in a news release.
Carr served at the head of SLCC's athletic program for 25 years before announcing her retirement earlier this year. During her time, the school built numerous athletic facilities and won the 2009 NJCAA national championship in men's basketball.
Prior to her time with the Bruins, Carr was a five-sport athlete at BYU and prepped at Davis High. She also coached women's volleyball at the University of Utah, where she earned her master's degree.
Dustin also worked for 14 years at Utah State, where he served in numerous roles, including as the school's associate athletics director for development his final three years there.
“I’m very honored to be selected,” Dustin said in the school's news release. “Salt Lake Community College’s athletics department, as well as the college as a whole, across the country is well-respected. And Norma has done a terrific job over the past 25 years. I have huge shoes to fill.”
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30, Mendenhall...
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Former BYU Cougar and returned missionary...
- Steve Nash fans among Utah Jazz saddened by...
- Utah-USC: Battle of ranked teams at...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz wrap up preseason play at 5-3...
- Who's in? Breaking down the high school...
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30,... 112
- Dick Harmon: Utes climb on big stage;... 75
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a... 61
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 52
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 33
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some... 26
- Utes picked to finish 2nd in Pac-12... 24
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 21