Mormon selfies spread as Latter-day Saints share Book of Mormon experiences
A group of LDS missionaries serving in Jacksonville, Florida, are asking members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to help them spread the gospel on social media, and more than 18,000 people have answered their call.
The missionaries created a Facebook page titled "Called to Share" in early June and asked Latter-day Saints to participate in a series of online events.
"Through the course of four events over the next four weeks, you will be able to boldly and simply share your testimony of the Book of Mormon through this series of short picture posts. Each week you will post a sentence and a photo with a particular hashtag," the Facebook page's description notes.
The first event began June 10, when fans of the page were asked to share a picture of themselves holding the Book of Mormon along with a description of how they first discovered the sacred text and the hashtag "#discoverthebook."
Subsequent events will take place June 17, June 24 and July 1, each highlighting a different aspect of members' experiences with the Book of Mormon.
More than 18,000 Facebook users have joined the page so far, and many, including dubstep violinist Lindsey Stirling, have shared selfies.
"The end goal is to share the Book of Mormon, not just with the masses, but specific people. Our purpose is to create teaching opportunities online for missionaries through you," according to the page's About section.
The second weeklong event, titled "Share the Book," begins June 17, and LDS Church members are invited to share a powerful experience they've had while reading the Book of Mormon.
Megan Marsden Christensen writes for the Faith and Family sections. She recently graduated from BYU-Idaho with a bachelor's degree in communication.
- First Presidency sends letter with counsel...
- LDS Church leaders release letter about...
- Jerusalem family finds a 2,000-year-old...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride Center's...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: From 'America's Got...
- What the LDS Church said about the Supreme...
- Stephen Rockwood named new FamilySearch...
- Nate Sharp: 'Miraculous events' led to...
- What the LDS Church said about the... 180
- First Presidency sends letter with... 132
- When Satan steals your motherhood 85
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 41
- Where were the Twelve Apostles when... 34
- LDS Church leaders release letter about... 28
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 12
- Washington Cathedral dean on... 8