Box Elder County Fire
TREMONTON, Box Elder County — A fire at a hay plant has caused between $8 million and $10 million in damage, fire officials said Thursday.
The blaze broke out at Bailey Farms International hay plant, 4600 N. Iowa String Road, Wednesday night and continued to burn Thursday.
The fire exited the building and spread to a propane tank. The propane tank exploded and ignited piles of hay. Towering flames burned throughout Wednesday night.
Firefighters could not enter the building to suppress the blaze because the buildings were structurally unsound, according to Box Elder County Fire Marshal Corey Barton. The fire was not near any residences, and fire officials planned to let the fire burn itself out.
"It's in a very safe area so we're just going to monitor it and let it go," he said. "It's going to burn for a long time."
Barton said that due to the extreme size and intensity of the fire, it is unlikely a cause will be determined.
— Morgan Jacobsen
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Icy roads blamed for Cedar City car crash...
- Local cowboys: A new foursome for the...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 6
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River... 6