Box Elder County Fire
TREMONTON, Box Elder County — A fire at a hay plant has caused between $8 million and $10 million in damage, fire officials said Thursday.
The blaze broke out at Bailey Farms International hay plant, 4600 N. Iowa String Road, Wednesday night and continued to burn Thursday.
The fire exited the building and spread to a propane tank. The propane tank exploded and ignited piles of hay. Towering flames burned throughout Wednesday night.
Firefighters could not enter the building to suppress the blaze because the buildings were structurally unsound, according to Box Elder County Fire Marshal Corey Barton. The fire was not near any residences, and fire officials planned to let the fire burn itself out.
"It's in a very safe area so we're just going to monitor it and let it go," he said. "It's going to burn for a long time."
Barton said that due to the extreme size and intensity of the fire, it is unlikely a cause will be determined.
— Morgan Jacobsen
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- Logan man killed in Idaho car crash
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Race heating up as congressional Democrats...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 39
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- Scalia's death leaves major void in... 24
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11