Box Elder County Fire
TREMONTON, Box Elder County — A fire at a hay plant has caused between $8 million and $10 million in damage, fire officials said Thursday.
The blaze broke out at Bailey Farms International hay plant, 4600 N. Iowa String Road, Wednesday night and continued to burn Thursday.
The fire exited the building and spread to a propane tank. The propane tank exploded and ignited piles of hay. Towering flames burned throughout Wednesday night.
Firefighters could not enter the building to suppress the blaze because the buildings were structurally unsound, according to Box Elder County Fire Marshal Corey Barton. The fire was not near any residences, and fire officials planned to let the fire burn itself out.
"It's in a very safe area so we're just going to monitor it and let it go," he said. "It's going to burn for a long time."
Barton said that due to the extreme size and intensity of the fire, it is unlikely a cause will be determined.
— Morgan Jacobsen
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex marriage
- Utahns losing thousands of dollars to phony...
- Eagle Mountain residents told not to use city...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 78
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 38
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 20
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning... 18
- Man accused in BYU gropings ordered to... 7