Box Elder County Fire
TREMONTON, Box Elder County — A fire at a hay plant has caused between $8 million and $10 million in damage, fire officials said Thursday.
The blaze broke out at Bailey Farms International hay plant, 4600 N. Iowa String Road, Wednesday night and continued to burn Thursday.
The fire exited the building and spread to a propane tank. The propane tank exploded and ignited piles of hay. Towering flames burned throughout Wednesday night.
Firefighters could not enter the building to suppress the blaze because the buildings were structurally unsound, according to Box Elder County Fire Marshal Corey Barton. The fire was not near any residences, and fire officials planned to let the fire burn itself out.
"It's in a very safe area so we're just going to monitor it and let it go," he said. "It's going to burn for a long time."
Barton said that due to the extreme size and intensity of the fire, it is unlikely a cause will be determined.
— Morgan Jacobsen
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt Lake...
- 4-year-old boy gets new ear with aid of a 3-D...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls his...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 46
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 32
- Meetings to resolve Medicaid expansion... 29
- Critics worry firing squad law will... 28
- Tea party movement still strong,... 22
- Salt Lake City to become next Google... 17
- Firing squad's return in Utah may... 14
- UTA board approves new pay plan for... 11