BYU track: Witt leads Cougars on day one of the NCAA Championships
Junior Jason Witt was the top finisher for BYU track and field Wednesday at the 2014 NCAA Division I Men’s and Women’s Outdoor Track and Field Championships.
“We had some solid efforts today,” BYU head coach Ed Eyestone said. “I like how Jason battled after coming in as the last qualifier from the West and ended with a time good enough to be a second team All-American.”
Witt got out to a quick start in the 10,000-meter race and was as high as fifth, but he was unable to keep up his pace and finished with a time of 29:40.98 to place 12th.
Senior Andrea Harrison finished the steeplechase in 10:23.81 to finish 19th, while freshman Shea Martinez was 17th in the 800 meter with a time of 2:06.39.
After the first five events of the decathlon, Chase Dalton ended the day in 18th place with 3,806 points. He placed highest in the shot put finishing eighth with a throw of 13.21 meters, while his highest point total came in the 400-meter dash finishing with a time of 50.20 to earn 805 points.
“Chase had a personal record by almost a second in the 400 meter,” Eyestone said. “He is on a pace to set a personal record in the decathlon, and hopefully, break in the top 12 or top 10.”
Senior Joshua Weirich was in 21st with 3,542 points after day one. Weirich’s best outing came in the high jump finishing 15th with a jump of 1.90 meters. Weirich earned a day-high 774 points on the long jump with a mark of 6.83 meters.
Weirich and Dalton finish the final five events of the decathlon Thursday beginning with the 110-meter hurdles at 11 a.m. PDT.
Spencer Shamo is a Communications major at BYU and the BYU softball SID.
- BYU falls to Memphis 55-48 in double overtime...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between BYU...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Rapid Fire: Hamson cements her legacy; Utah...
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- BYU-Memphis gameday glance
- BYU falls to Memphis 55-48 in double... 102
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 35
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars... 26
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off... 21
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record... 19
- Miracle Bowl, 34 years later: I don't... 17
- Stewart has brought back an identity... 16