UVU Athletics: former UVU AD inducted into NATYCCA Hall of Fame
Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
Former Utah Valley University Director of Athletics Mike Jacobsen was inducted into the National Alliance of Two Year College Athletic Administrators for his influential role during the school's junior college era. The induction took place at this week's National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics annual convention.
Jacobsen, who retired in 2013, was at Utah Valley for nearly 30 years as the director of athletics and oversaw an athletic department that experienced unprecedented growth.
"It's a tremendous honor," Jacobsen said at the induction. "I'm very appreciative of the recognition and it's something that all of the coaches, athletes and staff that were here during those junior college days are a part of."
After achieving tremendous success at the NJCAA level, Jacobsen initiated one of the most dramatic shifts for an athletic program in NCAA history. In 2001, he applied with the NCAA to explore moving UVU to Division I, the highest level of intercollegiate competition. In July 2008, after a seven-year provisional period, Wolverine Athletics completed that transition and became the first community college in modern day NCAA history to jump directly to Division I.
Jacobsen helped orchestrate another major milestone in October 2012 when UVU was invited to join the Western Athletic Conference. With the shift into the WAC from the Great West Conference, beginning July 1, 2013, Wolverine Athletics joined one of the most storied leagues in the NCAA and also gained access to an automatic postseason bid across all sports.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Friday fracas: Trevor Booker nearly hit, gets...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most worthy of...
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA:...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 65
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 44
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 29
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Friday morning QB: Three stars and five... 23