UVU Athletics: former UVU AD inducted into NATYCCA Hall of Fame
Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
Former Utah Valley University Director of Athletics Mike Jacobsen was inducted into the National Alliance of Two Year College Athletic Administrators for his influential role during the school's junior college era. The induction took place at this week's National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics annual convention.
Jacobsen, who retired in 2013, was at Utah Valley for nearly 30 years as the director of athletics and oversaw an athletic department that experienced unprecedented growth.
"It's a tremendous honor," Jacobsen said at the induction. "I'm very appreciative of the recognition and it's something that all of the coaches, athletes and staff that were here during those junior college days are a part of."
After achieving tremendous success at the NJCAA level, Jacobsen initiated one of the most dramatic shifts for an athletic program in NCAA history. In 2001, he applied with the NCAA to explore moving UVU to Division I, the highest level of intercollegiate competition. In July 2008, after a seven-year provisional period, Wolverine Athletics completed that transition and became the first community college in modern day NCAA history to jump directly to Division I.
Jacobsen helped orchestrate another major milestone in October 2012 when UVU was invited to join the Western Athletic Conference. With the shift into the WAC from the Great West Conference, beginning July 1, 2013, Wolverine Athletics joined one of the most storied leagues in the NCAA and also gained access to an automatic postseason bid across all sports.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 105
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 19