UVU Athletics: former UVU AD inducted into NATYCCA Hall of Fame
Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
Former Utah Valley University Director of Athletics Mike Jacobsen was inducted into the National Alliance of Two Year College Athletic Administrators for his influential role during the school's junior college era. The induction took place at this week's National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics annual convention.
Jacobsen, who retired in 2013, was at Utah Valley for nearly 30 years as the director of athletics and oversaw an athletic department that experienced unprecedented growth.
"It's a tremendous honor," Jacobsen said at the induction. "I'm very appreciative of the recognition and it's something that all of the coaches, athletes and staff that were here during those junior college days are a part of."
After achieving tremendous success at the NJCAA level, Jacobsen initiated one of the most dramatic shifts for an athletic program in NCAA history. In 2001, he applied with the NCAA to explore moving UVU to Division I, the highest level of intercollegiate competition. In July 2008, after a seven-year provisional period, Wolverine Athletics completed that transition and became the first community college in modern day NCAA history to jump directly to Division I.
Jacobsen helped orchestrate another major milestone in October 2012 when UVU was invited to join the Western Athletic Conference. With the shift into the WAC from the Great West Conference, beginning July 1, 2013, Wolverine Athletics joined one of the most storied leagues in the NCAA and also gained access to an automatic postseason bid across all sports.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Best of the West: Shifting teams around after...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- Morning links: ESPN's Chad Ford draft...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 99
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 62
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21