West Valley police searching for suspect in attempted assault and window peeking
WEST VALLEY CITY — Police are looking for a man who walked into an 80-year-old woman's home Tuesday morning and attempted to assault her, then peeked in the windows at another house.
"Based on geographic proximity of these two cases, as well as consistencies in suspect description, we believe that these two cases could be related, and we're looking for some information to try to track down who this person might be," West Valley police spokeswoman Roxeanne Vainuku said.
A man in dark clothing and a knit hat walked into the woman's unlocked home near 6200 West and 3500 South just before 5 a.m. Tuesday and encountered her sitting at her kitchen table, Vainuku said. When the man attempted to assault her, the woman began screaming for help and the man fled.
The incident lasted about two minutes, and the woman was not hurt.
About 40 minutes later and two blocks away, a woman noticed a man watching her through the sliding glass door that leads to her backyard. The man fled when the woman grabbed a phone and shouted that she was calling police, Vainuku said.
Both women described the man as being white, in his 20s and wearing dark clothing and a hat. The second woman indicated he may have been wearing blue jeans and a green shirt.
"It's very concerning anytime you have a case like this," Vainuku said, emphasizing the need for extra precautions in the area. "In one of these cases, he actually got into the house through an unlocked door, so we can't emphasize enough the importance of keeping those doors locked even when you're home."
Investigators have been interviewing residents, checking in with registered sex offenders in the area and adding extra patrols to the neighborhoods, Vainuku said.
Anyone with information on the incidents is asked to call West Valley City Police at 801-840-4000.
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty to...
- Lagoon's Cannibal ride makes late but...
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- Elderly man hit, killed while changing tire
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- Two fires were purposely set at U. fraternity...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 61
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 41
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 26
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 24
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 14