West Valley police searching for suspect in attempted assault and window peeking
WEST VALLEY CITY — Police are looking for a man who walked into an 80-year-old woman's home Tuesday morning and attempted to assault her, then peeked in the windows at another house.
"Based on geographic proximity of these two cases, as well as consistencies in suspect description, we believe that these two cases could be related, and we're looking for some information to try to track down who this person might be," West Valley police spokeswoman Roxeanne Vainuku said.
A man in dark clothing and a knit hat walked into the woman's unlocked home near 6200 West and 3500 South just before 5 a.m. Tuesday and encountered her sitting at her kitchen table, Vainuku said. When the man attempted to assault her, the woman began screaming for help and the man fled.
The incident lasted about two minutes, and the woman was not hurt.
About 40 minutes later and two blocks away, a woman noticed a man watching her through the sliding glass door that leads to her backyard. The man fled when the woman grabbed a phone and shouted that she was calling police, Vainuku said.
Both women described the man as being white, in his 20s and wearing dark clothing and a hat. The second woman indicated he may have been wearing blue jeans and a green shirt.
"It's very concerning anytime you have a case like this," Vainuku said, emphasizing the need for extra precautions in the area. "In one of these cases, he actually got into the house through an unlocked door, so we can't emphasize enough the importance of keeping those doors locked even when you're home."
Investigators have been interviewing residents, checking in with registered sex offenders in the area and adding extra patrols to the neighborhoods, Vainuku said.
Anyone with information on the incidents is asked to call West Valley City Police at 801-840-4000.
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Uintah County homicide victim always willing...
- Couple struggling with fertility now...
- City officals say North Salt Lake not liable...
- FBI director touches on Ferguson shooting,...
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an impoverished...
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of...
- Man crashes minivan into flagpole outside...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 53
- Vernal man claims police arrested him... 37
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 20
- Utah argues for more time to file... 19
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 15
- First scores from SAGE testing expected... 13