MAGNA — Police are investigating after profane slurs were spray-painted on and around a Magna home.
Unified police were called early Tuesday to the area of 3240 S. 8000 West after graffiti was discovered on the fence and part of a home belonging to a lesbian couple, according to Unified police detective Ken Hansen.
"It certainly appears to be anti-gay," Hansen said.
Police were called again later that afternoon after the couple found their dog lying on its side and foaming at the mouth. Michelle Klun, one of the homeowners, said a veterinarian determined that the dog had been poisoned, though it was unclear how.
Police are also investigating a conflict that arose between the couple and members of a neighboring family after the dog, a German shepherd-border collie mix, bit a 4-year-old neighbor girl last week, Hansen said.
"There was some communication from one of the relatives of the little girl that was apparently similar in nature to what was put on the fence," Hansen said.
Klun says she and her partner have lived in the neighborhood for a little more than nine years, and finding profanity spray-painted on their fence and home was the first gesture of its kind they'd received in the area.
"We are just people. We don't bother anybody. We get along with everybody," Klun said.
The dog has made a partial recovery, but the couple has decided to put the animal down, Klun said.
"Honestly, I couldn't live with myself if he bit another kid again," Klun said. "That was horrible. It was very traumatic."
Hansen said police were investigating a person of interest in the case but did not have a suspect Wednesday afternoon.
"It's an unusual case in a generally quiet neighborhood," Hansen said.
Contributing: Peter Samore
- Police reviewing possible nightclub photos of...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Missionary, police testify against man...
- Woman who drank toxic tea credits God, family...
- Man charged with killing baby in Ogden told...
- Apparent lightning strike hits Duchesne...
- Many questions remain in case of baby found...
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 46
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 40
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 30
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22