MAGNA — Police are investigating after profane slurs were spray-painted on and around a Magna home.
Unified police were called early Tuesday to the area of 3240 S. 8000 West after graffiti was discovered on the fence and part of a home belonging to a lesbian couple, according to Unified police detective Ken Hansen.
"It certainly appears to be anti-gay," Hansen said.
Police were called again later that afternoon after the couple found their dog lying on its side and foaming at the mouth. Michelle Klun, one of the homeowners, said a veterinarian determined that the dog had been poisoned, though it was unclear how.
Police are also investigating a conflict that arose between the couple and members of a neighboring family after the dog, a German shepherd-border collie mix, bit a 4-year-old neighbor girl last week, Hansen said.
"There was some communication from one of the relatives of the little girl that was apparently similar in nature to what was put on the fence," Hansen said.
Klun says she and her partner have lived in the neighborhood for a little more than nine years, and finding profanity spray-painted on their fence and home was the first gesture of its kind they'd received in the area.
"We are just people. We don't bother anybody. We get along with everybody," Klun said.
The dog has made a partial recovery, but the couple has decided to put the animal down, Klun said.
"Honestly, I couldn't live with myself if he bit another kid again," Klun said. "That was horrible. It was very traumatic."
Hansen said police were investigating a person of interest in the case but did not have a suspect Wednesday afternoon.
"It's an unusual case in a generally quiet neighborhood," Hansen said.
Contributing: Peter Samore
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- YouTube star Stuart Edge hopes to inspire...
- Missing Millard County woman's body found...
- Teen leads Humane Society service project to...
- Co-workers help Syracuse mother conquer daily...
- South Carolina woman dies on Sundance zip line
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11