The priesthood is a source of great blessings to the world. In a 2010 general conference address, President Boyd K. Packer of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles taught of our need to develop a greater understanding of the power of the priesthood.
“The priesthood does not have the strength that it should have,” he said, “and will not have until the power of the priesthood is firmly fixed in the families as it should be.”
David J. Ridges, a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and a gospel scholar, was inspired by this talk to ponder the power and authority of the priesthood.
The result of his endeavor is a newly published 16-page booklet titled “Unlocking the Power of Your Priesthood” (Cedar Fort, $2.99).
Ridges offers several insights on how to more fully receive the blessings of the power of the priesthood.
Personal worthiness. Efforts to be righteous are an essential part of accessing priesthood power. To reach into the heavens, all must be worthy. At the same time, be cautious of perfectionist tendencies. It is the direction a person is moving and the efforts he or she gives that please the Lord, Ridges explains.
Exercise faith. Faith in the Lord blesses both those giving and receiving priesthood blessings, Ridges writes.
Preparation. Those who give and receive blessings have an opportunity to draw closer to the Lord. Sometimes there are significant lengths of time to humbly and faithfully prepare. Other times, there is almost no time at all. By always treasuring the words of the Lord, we will never find ourselves unprepared, Ridges writes.
Recognize the will of God. All the worthiness, faith and preparation in the world are ultimately designed to align with the will of the Lord. When people recognize and submit to the Lord’s will in all things, they find themselves humble beneficiaries of the power of the priesthood, Ridges writes.
“Unlocking the Power of Your Priesthood” provides practical counsel for understanding and receiving blessings from the power of the priesthood.
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't capture...
- LDS Church to create Central Eurasian Mission...
- Ground broken for Star Valley Wyoming Temple
- 27 more tips for couples: Marriage advice,...
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- Elder Perry to undergo cancer treatment,...
- 21 Shakespeare quotes shared in LDS general...
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting religious...
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting... 107
- Defending the Faith: Warfare and the... 64
- Spiritual journey leads 3-term U.S.... 51
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't... 29
- 5 professional athletes who stand up... 22
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Faith leaders call for religious... 17
- The best (and worst) countries for... 16