BYU football: Defensive tackle David Lui commits to play for Cougars
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Defensive tackle prospect David Lui committed to play football at BYU on Wednesday, according to Scout.com recruiting analyst Brandon Huffman.
It's the Cougars' second commit in as many days, after JUCO safety Khari Vanderbilt announced his commitment to BYU on Tuesday.
The 6-foot-3, 250-pound defensive lineman currently attends Pittsburg High School in Pittsburg, California. According to Scout.com, Lui also had scholarship offers from Hawaii and Weber State and received interest from several Pac-12 schools, including Cal, UCLA, Utah and Washington State.
Lui is a part of the 2015 recruiting class and is rated a three-star prospect by ESPN. He had 43 tackles, 11 tackles for loss, three sacks and 12 quarterback hurries in 2013, according to MaxPreps, while helping his team go 10-3.
His high school football team's Twitter account also confirmed the news, congratulating Lui on his decision.
Lui is the third defensive line commit for BYU in the 2015 class, according to Scout.com; the others are defensive ends Devin Kaufusi of Timpview High and Mika Tafua of Kamehameha Secondary High in Honolulu, Hawaii. The Cougars currently have six commits in the 2015 recruiting class, all defensive players.
This comes on the heels of Deseret News writer Brandon Gurney reporting Tuesday that BYU redshirt freshman defensive tackle JonRyheem Peoples has permission to look into scholarship opportunities at other universities. The Cougars have senior Marques Johnson and sophomore Travis Tuiloma among the leading contenders for playing time at nose tackle in 2014.
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Adam Law breaks...
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this working...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Prep sports: All-Sports awards feature 2...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Utah Jazz: Terry Rozier’s toughness...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 45
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 43
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 40
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 16
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7