BYU football: Defensive tackle David Lui commits to play for Cougars
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Defensive tackle prospect David Lui committed to play football at BYU on Wednesday, according to Scout.com recruiting analyst Brandon Huffman.
It's the Cougars' second commit in as many days, after JUCO safety Khari Vanderbilt announced his commitment to BYU on Tuesday.
The 6-foot-3, 250-pound defensive lineman currently attends Pittsburg High School in Pittsburg, California. According to Scout.com, Lui also had scholarship offers from Hawaii and Weber State and received interest from several Pac-12 schools, including Cal, UCLA, Utah and Washington State.
Lui is a part of the 2015 recruiting class and is rated a three-star prospect by ESPN. He had 43 tackles, 11 tackles for loss, three sacks and 12 quarterback hurries in 2013, according to MaxPreps, while helping his team go 10-3.
His high school football team's Twitter account also confirmed the news, congratulating Lui on his decision.
Lui is the third defensive line commit for BYU in the 2015 class, according to Scout.com; the others are defensive ends Devin Kaufusi of Timpview High and Mika Tafua of Kamehameha Secondary High in Honolulu, Hawaii. The Cougars currently have six commits in the 2015 recruiting class, all defensive players.
This comes on the heels of Deseret News writer Brandon Gurney reporting Tuesday that BYU redshirt freshman defensive tackle JonRyheem Peoples has permission to look into scholarship opportunities at other universities. The Cougars have senior Marques Johnson and sophomore Travis Tuiloma among the leading contenders for playing time at nose tackle in 2014.
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Injury-riddled BYU set to host WCC powerhouse...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 74
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 60
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52