BYU football: Defensive tackle David Lui commits to play for Cougars
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Defensive tackle prospect David Lui committed to play football at BYU on Wednesday, according to Scout.com recruiting analyst Brandon Huffman.
It's the Cougars' second commit in as many days, after JUCO safety Khari Vanderbilt announced his commitment to BYU on Tuesday.
The 6-foot-3, 250-pound defensive lineman currently attends Pittsburg High School in Pittsburg, California. According to Scout.com, Lui also had scholarship offers from Hawaii and Weber State and received interest from several Pac-12 schools, including Cal, UCLA, Utah and Washington State.
Lui is a part of the 2015 recruiting class and is rated a three-star prospect by ESPN. He had 43 tackles, 11 tackles for loss, three sacks and 12 quarterback hurries in 2013, according to MaxPreps, while helping his team go 10-3.
His high school football team's Twitter account also confirmed the news, congratulating Lui on his decision.
Lui is the third defensive line commit for BYU in the 2015 class, according to Scout.com; the others are defensive ends Devin Kaufusi of Timpview High and Mika Tafua of Kamehameha Secondary High in Honolulu, Hawaii. The Cougars currently have six commits in the 2015 recruiting class, all defensive players.
This comes on the heels of Deseret News writer Brandon Gurney reporting Tuesday that BYU redshirt freshman defensive tackle JonRyheem Peoples has permission to look into scholarship opportunities at other universities. The Cougars have senior Marques Johnson and sophomore Travis Tuiloma among the leading contenders for playing time at nose tackle in 2014.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 64
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 38
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20