Jim Carrey talks family, failure and the future in commencement speech (+video)
Famed comedian Jim Carrey recently spoke at the commencement for the Maharishi University of Management. He spoke of his father and the lessons he learned about failing and succeeding in life.
“My father could have been a great comedian, but he didn’t believe that that was possible for him, and so he made a conservative choice,” Carrey said. “Instead, he got a safe job as an accountant, and when I was 12 years old, he was let go from that safe job and our family had to do everything we could to survive.
“I learned many great lessons from my father,” he continued, “not the least of which is you can fail at what you don’t want, so why not take a chance at doing what you love?”
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- 'American Idol' alum Brooke White creates...
- Christmas 1914: The day even WWI showed humanity
- The 37 most charitable celebrities
- Over and out: TV flops, exits and endings in...
- Bittersweet Christmas: A woman ponders the...
- 4 interactive ways to teach your kids about...
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey... 7
- What did Utahns search for in 2014?... 6
- School lunch 'blech' factor may go down... 4
- 'Five Armies' brings the Hobbit trilogy... 4
- Why you should think twice before... 3
- Some communities suggest penalizing... 3
- Want a smart kid? Stay away from these... 2