Jim Carrey talks family, failure and the future in commencement speech (+video)
Famed comedian Jim Carrey recently spoke at the commencement for the Maharishi University of Management. He spoke of his father and the lessons he learned about failing and succeeding in life.
“My father could have been a great comedian, but he didn’t believe that that was possible for him, and so he made a conservative choice,” Carrey said. “Instead, he got a safe job as an accountant, and when I was 12 years old, he was let go from that safe job and our family had to do everything we could to survive.
“I learned many great lessons from my father,” he continued, “not the least of which is you can fail at what you don’t want, so why not take a chance at doing what you love?”
- The No. 1 cause of divorce may not be what...
- 10 million views in 10 days: Behind the...
- The factors that drive or deter teen sex
- Families have become the scapegoat of holiday...
- About Utah: Now, he's been everywhere
- 'Say Thanks': Facebook launches new feature...
- Working on Thanksgiving Day? Here's why most...
- Utahn on 'Biggest Loser' gets another chance...
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 45
- The No. 1 cause of divorce may not be... 15
- Families have become the scapegoat of... 9
- The factors that drive or deter teen sex 7
- Be thankful — there's a theology... 6
- Working on Thanksgiving Day? Here's why... 6
- About Utah: Now, he's been everywhere 5
- 10 million views in 10 days: Behind the... 4