Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MILLCREEK — Fire officials were investigating a fire Wednesday at a Millcreek storage unit where they say someone may have been living and cooking methamphetamine.
Firefighters were dispatched at 10:42 a.m. to Simply Storage, 3948 S. West Temple, after receiving reports that an explosion had occurred in one of the storage units and caused a fire, according to Unified Fire Authority Battalion Chief Brian Anderton.
Firefighters quickly subdued the blaze.
Six storage units received varying degrees of damage from the fire. Investigators were initially unsure of a dollar value for the damage to the storage units and the property they contained, Anderton said.
Unified police were questioning two people of interest who were found on the property at the time of the fire and who had been "less than cooperative" with police, Anderton said.
"Some of the things that we're looking at is the possibility that somebody had been living in the storage facility and the fire was a result of their living conditions to the extent that maybe there was an active drug operation and they had been cooking meth," Anderton said. "Right now, we haven't ruled anything out and we haven't conclusively ruled anything in."
Units from Unified Fire Authority, and South Salt Lake, West Valley City and Murray fire departments responded to the blaze. A hazardous materials unit was also called "just as a precaution that there was something illegal going on that would have caused additional hazards" to firefighters, Anderton said.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Utah natives receive rave reviews, make 'So...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Body found in suitcase near Saltair identified
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 292
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 128
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 101
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 74
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35