Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MILLCREEK — Fire officials were investigating a fire Wednesday at a Millcreek storage unit where they say someone may have been living and cooking methamphetamine.
Firefighters were dispatched at 10:42 a.m. to Simply Storage, 3948 S. West Temple, after receiving reports that an explosion had occurred in one of the storage units and caused a fire, according to Unified Fire Authority Battalion Chief Brian Anderton.
Firefighters quickly subdued the blaze.
Six storage units received varying degrees of damage from the fire. Investigators were initially unsure of a dollar value for the damage to the storage units and the property they contained, Anderton said.
Unified police were questioning two people of interest who were found on the property at the time of the fire and who had been "less than cooperative" with police, Anderton said.
"Some of the things that we're looking at is the possibility that somebody had been living in the storage facility and the fire was a result of their living conditions to the extent that maybe there was an active drug operation and they had been cooking meth," Anderton said. "Right now, we haven't ruled anything out and we haven't conclusively ruled anything in."
Units from Unified Fire Authority, and South Salt Lake, West Valley City and Murray fire departments responded to the blaze. A hazardous materials unit was also called "just as a precaution that there was something illegal going on that would have caused additional hazards" to firefighters, Anderton said.
- Rocky Mountain Power: Thousands on Wasatch...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Utah communities still among fastest-growing...
- Salt Lake police looking for 2 men in repeat...
- UTA taking threat to block funding 'seriously'
- Salt Lake police: Hundreds of once-backlogged...
- Exhibit highlights Utah contributions to...
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 37
- 'Dirty soda' lawsuit calls shop's... 22
- Former Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt advising... 20
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 14
- National conservative group backs... 13