Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MILLCREEK — Fire officials were investigating a fire Wednesday at a Millcreek storage unit where they say someone may have been living and cooking methamphetamine.
Firefighters were dispatched at 10:42 a.m. to Simply Storage, 3948 S. West Temple, after receiving reports that an explosion had occurred in one of the storage units and caused a fire, according to Unified Fire Authority Battalion Chief Brian Anderton.
Firefighters quickly subdued the blaze.
Six storage units received varying degrees of damage from the fire. Investigators were initially unsure of a dollar value for the damage to the storage units and the property they contained, Anderton said.
Unified police were questioning two people of interest who were found on the property at the time of the fire and who had been "less than cooperative" with police, Anderton said.
"Some of the things that we're looking at is the possibility that somebody had been living in the storage facility and the fire was a result of their living conditions to the extent that maybe there was an active drug operation and they had been cooking meth," Anderton said. "Right now, we haven't ruled anything out and we haven't conclusively ruled anything in."
Units from Unified Fire Authority, and South Salt Lake, West Valley City and Murray fire departments responded to the blaze. A hazardous materials unit was also called "just as a precaution that there was something illegal going on that would have caused additional hazards" to firefighters, Anderton said.
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex marriage
- Utahns losing thousands of dollars to phony...
- Eagle Mountain residents told not to use city...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 79
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 38
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 20
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning... 18
- Man accused in BYU gropings ordered to... 7