OGDEN — Dea Millerberg pleaded guilty Wednesday to three felonies for her involvement in the 2011 death of Alexis Rasmussen, a 16-year-old who baby-sat for her and her husband in their North Ogden home.
Millerberg, 41, pleaded guilty in 2nd District Court to obstructing justice, acquiring prescription drugs unlawfully, and abuse or desecration of a human body — all third-degree felonies — as part of plea agreement.
Rasmussen baby-sat for Dea and Eric Millerberg, and she would go to the couple for drugs and alcohol.
As part of the plea deal, Dea Millerberg testified against her husband. She said that on Sept. 10, 2011, Eric Millerberg injected the teen with methamphetamine and heroin, and the three engaged in sexual activity. Rasmussen died later that night from an apparent overdose.
The couple decided to hide the body, which was discovered 38 days later after police received a tip from a fellow inmate of Eric Millerberg, 38.
Dea Millerberg's testimony, as well as corroborating information from friends of Eric Millerberg, led a jury to convict Eric Millerberg in February of child abuse homicide, obstructing justice, unlawful sexual conduct with a minor, and abuse or desecration of a human body. He was sentenced in March to six years to life in prison.
Dea Millerberg could face $15,000 in fines and a maximum of up to 15 years in prison. She will be sentenced Aug. 21.
Weber County Attorney Dee Smith called the deal "a fair resolution."
"Without Dea coming clean, we wouldn't have been able to convict Eric," Smith said. "She provided a lot of information and a lot of testimony that allowed us to solve this. So even though she shares in the responsibility of what happened, she also came forward and testified and did everything she could to make it right."
Contributing: Haley Smith
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- 7 crazy-awesome natural arches and bridges in...
- Dog accused of biting child ordered to... 47
- Utah GOP all in for Cruz, but Trump... 44
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 33
- GOP primary in governor's race now... 24
- S.L. City Council unsure what to expect... 22
- Twice-deported man arrested in Salt... 18
- Orem woman makes history by joining... 14
- Chaffetz attorney calls FEC complaint... 13