OGDEN — Dea Millerberg pleaded guilty Wednesday to three felonies for her involvement in the 2011 death of Alexis Rasmussen, a 16-year-old who baby-sat for her and her husband in their North Ogden home.
Millerberg, 41, pleaded guilty in 2nd District Court to obstructing justice, acquiring prescription drugs unlawfully, and abuse or desecration of a human body — all third-degree felonies — as part of plea agreement.
Rasmussen baby-sat for Dea and Eric Millerberg, and she would go to the couple for drugs and alcohol.
As part of the plea deal, Dea Millerberg testified against her husband. She said that on Sept. 10, 2011, Eric Millerberg injected the teen with methamphetamine and heroin, and the three engaged in sexual activity. Rasmussen died later that night from an apparent overdose.
The couple decided to hide the body, which was discovered 38 days later after police received a tip from a fellow inmate of Eric Millerberg, 38.
Dea Millerberg's testimony, as well as corroborating information from friends of Eric Millerberg, led a jury to convict Eric Millerberg in February of child abuse homicide, obstructing justice, unlawful sexual conduct with a minor, and abuse or desecration of a human body. He was sentenced in March to six years to life in prison.
Dea Millerberg could face $15,000 in fines and a maximum of up to 15 years in prison. She will be sentenced Aug. 21.
Weber County Attorney Dee Smith called the deal "a fair resolution."
"Without Dea coming clean, we wouldn't have been able to convict Eric," Smith said. "She provided a lot of information and a lot of testimony that allowed us to solve this. So even though she shares in the responsibility of what happened, she also came forward and testified and did everything she could to make it right."
Contributing: Haley Smith
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- Father of slain woman said he lived his life...
- Police arrest 3 suspected of vandalizing LDS...
- Ex-A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff due in...
- Mormon Media scholars discuss church and...
- Photos: World record potentially set during...
- Traditional marriage supporters want... 84
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Lawmaker pledges to run bill changing... 36
- Democrats challenge Mia Love's... 36
- Feminist speaker claims USU didn't warn... 31
- Federal government extends same-sex... 27
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21