In case you forgot, Father's Day is less than a week away, which means if you haven't bought a gift yet, it's definitely time to get down to it.
The issue a lot of people face, however, is how to show Dad their love and appreciation without emptying their savings account. Fortunately, there are several ways to make fathers feel appreciated without putting your wallet on a diet. Some are specific, some are more creative, and some give you plenty of wiggle room to still make your dad happy.
Here are a few gift ideas for Father's Day this year:
1. For the grillmaster. Spice and sauce gift basket: less than $30
This takes a little bit of DIY initiative, which is just a bigger win for you as your dad appreciates it even more. Take a basket and fill it with any variety of spices and sauces. Whether your dad likes it hot or tangy, there are more than enough rubs and sauces available in stores and online to make a gift unlike anything else. Combine a flavorful selection of spices, with equally flavorful names, and it will wow your dad through to next year that will probably cost under $30.
2. For the golfer. SkyDroid Golf GPS App: $1.99
You read it right. This app is only $2. The problem with many golf GPS apps is that so many bells and whistles are included that the core of the app, the GPS, is often shoddy. The SkyDroid app, available on iPhone and Android despite the name, can give your dad easy access to maps detailing distance to the greens of more than 20,000 courses across the world. And if a course isn't available, he can go online and add the course map to the database, making it available to others. The app also features shot tracking, satellite imagery and a simple-to-use interface. Don't worry about shelling out more for an app that won't work as well. Give your dad the SkyDroid.
3. For the sports fan. Sporting event tickets: about $28
Baseball season is in full swing, and it's time to take your dad out to the ball game. According to sports marketing website Team Marketing, the average ticket for an MLB game, depending on location, is about $28. This, of course, doesn't include snacks at the game. Most of the time it's easy to find tickets on sites like Stubhub or Tickets Now that are cheaper. This is still a fairly inexpensive way to give your dad a gift he'll love, all while bonding with you. And if a major league team is too far away, minor league teams are often closer to home and cheaper.
4. For the outdoorsman. Bear Grylls Basic Kit: $23
Odds are unless your dad is trying to be Survivorman or Bear Grylls himself, he probably won't need everything in this kit. But better safe than sorry, right? This is an essential kit for minimalist camping. It comes with fire starters, tinder, a Gerber brand knife, and many other tools for simple survival in the outdoors. It probably isn't good for an extended journey, but for an overnight excursion, this will be perfect for your adventurous dad.
5. For any dad. Homemade coupon book: prices vary
When money is tighter than it should be, a homemade coupon book is perfect — especially for kids still at home. A few pieces of paper, some markers, glitter and a spark of creativity can bring a quick smile and a warm heart to any dad. Coupon ideas include free car washes, garden weeding, sweeping the garage, mowing the lawn, or other chores like that. Even things he likes to do — like a round of golf on you — are sure to thrill your dad on his day.
Kurt Hanson recently graduated from Brigham Young University with a BA in Communications. He now writes for Deseret News National.
- Yellen faces GOP criticism over weak economic...
- Behind the support for Brexit and Trump:...
- Asian stocks mixed as markets await Brexit...
- Stocks, pound fall again due to UK vote...
- Financial Tips & Tricks: When is bankruptcy...
- Sturt & Nordstrom: The 5 fundamental...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- Renovation Solutions: Tips for choosing an...
- Behind the support for Brexit and... 11
- Costco begins new credit card agreement 4
- Yellen faces GOP criticism over weak... 3
- Asian stocks mixed as markets await... 0
- Stocks, pound fall again due to UK vote... 0
- Financial Tips & Tricks: When is... 0
- Sturt & Nordstrom: The 5 fundamental... 0
- Renovation Solutions: Tips for choosing... 0