Hawks assistant Darvin Ham up for Jazz coaching position
Khin Maung Win, AP
SALT LAKE CITY — Add Darvin Ham's name to the list of candidates in the mix to be an assistant on newly hired Jazz coach Quin Snyder's staff.
Never heard of him?
Snyder certainly has.
Ham is a former NBA player who has been on two different NBA coaching staffs as an assistant with the Jazz's bench boss, including the Hawks last season and the Los Angeles Lakers in 2011-12.
Ham, a forward who played on six NBA teams from 1996 to 2005, is being considered to be Snyder's lead assistant in Utah, according to sources.
It's possible the 40-year-old Ham would need to be hired as the Jazz's associate head coach, a more lucrative position with some organizations, to be lured away from the Hawks. He's in line to be promoted as Mike Budenholzer's lead assistant in Atlanta, a position Snyder held last season.
Ham played for Snyder in Austin when the two were in the D-League back in 2008. He then retired as a player and began coaching for the Albuquerque Thunderbirds, first as an assistant and then as head coach, until joining Snyder on Mike Brown's staff in L.A. in 2011.
Brad Jones and Alex Jensen continue to be in contention for assistant positions with the Jazz, as has been reported. It's also possible Jones could be hired by Atlanta. He has ties to Budenholzer from his time as the Austin Toros' head coach from 2010 to 2012.
Other strong possibilities for an assistant job in Utah include Spurs shooting coach Chip Engelland and Hawks assistant Taylor Jenkins, both of whom have ties to Snyder.
It's uncertain whether the Jazz still have a shot at adding Italian coach Ettore Messina. It's been reported by multiple international outlets that the current CSKA Moscow coach will join Gregg Popovich's staff with the Spurs. General manager R.C. Buford denied that report to the San Antonio Express-News.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's unexpected NCAA qualifier...
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade their...
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws...
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Living the dream: Controlled hoarding for a...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 121
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 66
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 32
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 24
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade... 11