1 dead, 2 wounded in shooting on Ute Indian Reservation
Geoff Liesik, Deseret News
FORT DUCHESNE, Uintah County — FBI and Bureau of Indian Affairs agents are investigating a Wednesday morning shooting on the Uintah-Ouray Indian Reservation in northeastern Utah that killed one man and wounded two teens.
A number of shots were fired just before 2 a.m. Wednesday in the reservation's Little Chicago subdivision after a confrontation between two groups of people, according to FBI special agent Todd Palmer.
Evan Cuch, 23, was hit at least once with a .22-caliber bullet, according to multiple sources. Cuch was taken to Uintah Basin Medical Center in Roosevelt, where he was pronounced dead.
One teen was treated for gunshot wounds at the hospital as well, sources told the Deseret News. His condition was not immediately known Wednesday night. A second teen was apparently grazed by a bullet and did not require treatment, authorities said.
Investigators were still conducting interviews Wednesday night, Palmer said, and were not prepared to release any further details about the shooting, including the number of shots fired, a possible motive or whether the alleged shooter is in custody. Authorities do not believe, however, that there is any ongoing threat to public safety, Palmer said.
— Geoff Liesik
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- GOP primary in governor's race now focused on...
- Man killed in officer-involved shooting in...
- Provo transit project set to begin, despite...
- Utah Symphony gets standing ovation at N.Y.'s...
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 26
- Report: Spending on charter students... 21
- Utah council wants governor, A.G. probe... 18
- FEC complaint filed against Chaffetz by... 16
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries 13