Hugh Carey, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah football officials have confirmed that Micah Thomas has left the program in search of an opportunity to play quarterback elsewhere. The 6-foot, 194-pound redshirt freshman was moved to wide receiver in spring ball after spending his first year with the Utes quarterbacking the scout team.
Thomas signed with Utah as a Houston Chronicle Top 100 recruit after passing for 849 yards and rushing for 734 more as a senior at North Shore High School in Texas. He had a hand in 16 touchdowns.
After redshirting with the Utes, Thomas found himself in a crowded situation at quarterback. The mix currently includes Travis Wilson, Adam Schulz, Conner Manning and Brandon Cox, as well as new additions Kendal Thompson and Donovan Isom. Former Wyoming quarterback Jason Thompson, who is sitting out this season because of NCAA transfer rules, is also on the roster.
ADDITION UPDATE: Former South Carolina cornerback Ahmad Christian, who transferred to a junior college in December and announced plans to sign with Utah via Twitter earlier this week, has yet to sign a financial aid agreement with the Utes. Should he complete work on an associate’s degree and receive NCAA approval, the 5-foot-10, 190-pound junior could be immediately eligible this fall. However, if things don’t work out so smoothly, Christian may not join the Utah program until next winter.
Christian, who is from Jacksonville, Florida, had 18 tackles with two pass breakups and one forced fumble with the Gamecocks last season. He appeared in 24 games over the past two years.
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30, Mendenhall...
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a...
- Steve Nash fans among Utah Jazz saddened by...
- Former BYU Cougar and returned missionary...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Live streams: 5A and 4A girls soccer state...
- Who's in? Breaking down the high school...
- Suspended Utah football player sentenced for...
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30,... 105
- Dick Harmon: Utes climb on big stage;... 75
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a... 58
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 52
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 33
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some... 26
- Utes picked to finish 2nd in Pac-12... 24
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 21