Hugh Carey, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah football officials have confirmed that Micah Thomas has left the program in search of an opportunity to play quarterback elsewhere. The 6-foot, 194-pound redshirt freshman was moved to wide receiver in spring ball after spending his first year with the Utes quarterbacking the scout team.
Thomas signed with Utah as a Houston Chronicle Top 100 recruit after passing for 849 yards and rushing for 734 more as a senior at North Shore High School in Texas. He had a hand in 16 touchdowns.
After redshirting with the Utes, Thomas found himself in a crowded situation at quarterback. The mix currently includes Travis Wilson, Adam Schulz, Conner Manning and Brandon Cox, as well as new additions Kendal Thompson and Donovan Isom. Former Wyoming quarterback Jason Thompson, who is sitting out this season because of NCAA transfer rules, is also on the roster.
ADDITION UPDATE: Former South Carolina cornerback Ahmad Christian, who transferred to a junior college in December and announced plans to sign with Utah via Twitter earlier this week, has yet to sign a financial aid agreement with the Utes. Should he complete work on an associate’s degree and receive NCAA approval, the 5-foot-10, 190-pound junior could be immediately eligible this fall. However, if things don’t work out so smoothly, Christian may not join the Utah program until next winter.
Christian, who is from Jacksonville, Florida, had 18 tackles with two pass breakups and one forced fumble with the Gamecocks last season. He appeared in 24 games over the past two years.
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 123
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 68
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 62
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 53
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 29