Hugh Carey, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah football officials have confirmed that Micah Thomas has left the program in search of an opportunity to play quarterback elsewhere. The 6-foot, 194-pound redshirt freshman was moved to wide receiver in spring ball after spending his first year with the Utes quarterbacking the scout team.
Thomas signed with Utah as a Houston Chronicle Top 100 recruit after passing for 849 yards and rushing for 734 more as a senior at North Shore High School in Texas. He had a hand in 16 touchdowns.
After redshirting with the Utes, Thomas found himself in a crowded situation at quarterback. The mix currently includes Travis Wilson, Adam Schulz, Conner Manning and Brandon Cox, as well as new additions Kendal Thompson and Donovan Isom. Former Wyoming quarterback Jason Thompson, who is sitting out this season because of NCAA transfer rules, is also on the roster.
ADDITION UPDATE: Former South Carolina cornerback Ahmad Christian, who transferred to a junior college in December and announced plans to sign with Utah via Twitter earlier this week, has yet to sign a financial aid agreement with the Utes. Should he complete work on an associate’s degree and receive NCAA approval, the 5-foot-10, 190-pound junior could be immediately eligible this fall. However, if things don’t work out so smoothly, Christian may not join the Utah program until next winter.
Christian, who is from Jacksonville, Florida, had 18 tackles with two pass breakups and one forced fumble with the Gamecocks last season. He appeared in 24 games over the past two years.
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 83
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 34
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8