Get geeky fashion tips for Salt Lake Comic Con at The Leonardo
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake Comic Con and The Leonardo will teach fans how to create their own geektastic cosplay at a do-it-yourself workshops starting Wednesday.
The first workshop, which runs 6-9 p.m. at The Leonardo, 209 E. 500 South, will focus on "upcycling" when constructing your own costume, using items like cardboard, paper, recycled fabrics, stuff from kitchen junk drawers, hardware store items and found objects.
The monthly workshops cost $30 and will include presentations by Leonardo artists and guest presenters. Participants will receive information and some materials to try out as they plan their look.
Fans can sign up for the class and learn more about scholarships to attend on the Salt Lake Comic Con website.
Cosplay, or "costume play," is an increasingly popular part of Salt Lake Comic Con, founder Dan Farr said.
"Our fans are so passionate about dressing the parts of their favorite characters,” Farr said. "More and more we're hearing how those that aren't engaged in cosplay want to learn and get involved. These workshops will teach fans how to make their own costumes so that when our September Comic Con rolls around they'll be ready to show up in costume and partake in the incredible cosplay events we have planned."
More than 72,000 people attended last year's inaugural event, making it the largest first-year comic convention in North America and ranking fourth among attendance of such events in the U.S. April's FanX topped those numbers, attracting more than 100,000 people and beating its own record as the largest convention ever in Utah.
Comic Con organizers began announcing the first of as many as 200 celebrity guests last month, including stars Christopher Lloyd and John Barrowman. The three-day event will run Sept. 4-6 at the Salt Palace Convention Center.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: McKenzieRomero
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- CNN hires fired Trump campaign manager...
- The newscasters who have made the most cameos...
- Magic land Serge Ibaka in draft-night trade...
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- BET Awards full of Prince tributes and...
- BYU alum Rob Gardner, Cinematic Pop featured...
- Extraterrestrial encounters: A look at 10...
- Hollywood's treatment of the disabled... 6
- BYU alum Rob Gardner, Cinematic Pop... 2
- 'Resurgence' is a weak payoff for fans... 2
- Extraterrestrial encounters: A look at... 1
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Life, choices... 1
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new... 0
- CNN hires fired Trump campaign manager... 0
- The newscasters who have made the most... 0