Tom Smart, Deseret News
EUGENE, Ore. — BYU will be well-represented at the NCAA outdoor track and field championships, which begin Wednesday at the University of Oregon.
“We are looking for some breakthrough performances and we are capable of breaking through with a group of solid veterans,” BYU coach Ed Eyestone said in a press release. “Wednesday will be a big day for us with many of our athletes beginning their competition. We are hoping to start strong.”
Leading the way for the Cougars are senior decathletes Chase Dalton (No. 8 seed) and Joshua Weirich (No. 19). The decathlon begins Wednesday with the 100-meter event.
Senior Jason Witt will compete in the 10,000-meter run Wednesday after recording the third-fastest time nationally earlier this season.
Senior Kyle Baker rounds out the men's contingent as a qualifier for the javelin, which will take place Saturday.
The Cougars' female participants include super freshman Shea Martinez, who clocked a personal-best time of 2:05:98 in the 800 meters last week in the regional qualifiers, and senior Andrea Harrison, who will take part in the steeplechase. Both women begin competition on Wednesday.
A full schedule of events can be found at NCAA.com and live results can be accessed at flashresults.com. ESPN will provide coverage every day, with ESPN3 broadcasting the meet Wednesday and Thursday starting at 4:55 p.m. MDT and ESPNU broadcasting live on Friday at 5:30 p.m. and Saturday at 3 p.m.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 114
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 62
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 48
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33