Tom Smart, Deseret News
EUGENE, Ore. — BYU will be well-represented at the NCAA outdoor track and field championships, which begin Wednesday at the University of Oregon.
“We are looking for some breakthrough performances and we are capable of breaking through with a group of solid veterans,” BYU coach Ed Eyestone said in a press release. “Wednesday will be a big day for us with many of our athletes beginning their competition. We are hoping to start strong.”
Leading the way for the Cougars are senior decathletes Chase Dalton (No. 8 seed) and Joshua Weirich (No. 19). The decathlon begins Wednesday with the 100-meter event.
Senior Jason Witt will compete in the 10,000-meter run Wednesday after recording the third-fastest time nationally earlier this season.
Senior Kyle Baker rounds out the men's contingent as a qualifier for the javelin, which will take place Saturday.
The Cougars' female participants include super freshman Shea Martinez, who clocked a personal-best time of 2:05:98 in the 800 meters last week in the regional qualifiers, and senior Andrea Harrison, who will take part in the steeplechase. Both women begin competition on Wednesday.
A full schedule of events can be found at NCAA.com and live results can be accessed at flashresults.com. ESPN will provide coverage every day, with ESPN3 broadcasting the meet Wednesday and Thursday starting at 4:55 p.m. MDT and ESPNU broadcasting live on Friday at 5:30 p.m. and Saturday at 3 p.m.
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20