Police find Logan 6-year-old chained to bed while father went to work
LOGAN — Police have arrested a Logan man for investigation of child abuse after his 6-year-old son was discovered chained to a bed while he was at work.
Sammie Hodges, 28, was arrested Tuesday in connection with the incident, police said.
Police received an anonymous tip Tuesday that the child was being chained up in the home at 825 N. 1400 East while Hodges went to work, Logan Police Chief Gary Jensen said. Officers responded around 11 a.m. and found the boy chained by his ankle to the bed frame.
"There was some snack-type food available to the child," Jensen said, adding that there was also water for the boy. "The chain was just long enough for him to get to the bathroom."
Police are investigating how often the child had been left alone or kept in those circumstances.
"He appears relatively healthy, albeit that's going to mess with your head," Jensen said. "But from a physical perspective, he appears to be healthy."
The child lives with his father and an adult female, who has no biological connection to the boy. The boy was placed in the care of the Utah Division of Child and Family Services on Tuesday.
Neighbor Maura Blair said she wishes she had noticed that something wasn't right at the home.
"We didn't look close enough at the signs," Blair said.
Trina Taylor, executive director of Prevent Child Abuse Utah, said family, friends and neighbors can watch for signs of abuse, such as bruising in odd areas of the body.
"It's scary to report abuse sometimes," Taylor said, "and a lot of us, as adults, we're afraid, but we have to be the ones with courage. We have to be the brave ones to protect our children and be willing to make that phone call."
On Tuesday, that courage saved a young boy.
"Gosh, we're just grateful, grateful they were willing to take that step forward," Jensen said, "because had that person not taken that step forward, this child would still be chained to a bed."
According to a search of court records, Hodges was charged with domestic violence in the presence of a child, assault and disorderly conduct in 2008. He later pleaded guilty to single counts of assault and disorderly conduct.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 75
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 28
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25