Book review: ‘Big Russ and Me — Father and Son: Lessons of Life’ shows the power of everyday fatherhood
"BIG RUSS AND ME — FATHER AND SON: Lessons of Life" by Tim Russert, Weinstein Books, $15.99, 340 pages (nf)
Growing up in South Buffalo as the son a World War II veteran, former NBC host of "Meet the Press" Tim Russert was surrounded by a neighborhood of hard-working families and good influences.
Russert shares these experiences and others he learned as a youth in "Big Russ and Me — Father and Son: Lessons of Life." In this 10th anniversary paperback printing, Tim Russert's son, Luke, shares his perspective.
Tim Russert’s father expected his son to be honest and get good grades. When Russert’s father, known as "Big Russ," was offered a bribe to dishonestly help another, he declined, although it meant the loss of a job promotion. He didn’t talk much about the lost opportunity, but Russert valued and followed his integrity.
This wonderfully written book is full of humor and memorable father-and-son experiences. The book has clean language and is a great way to learn more about the history of a famous baby boomer.
The late Russert was named by Time magazine as one of the 100 most influential people in 2008.
Elizabeth Reid has bachelor's degrees in economics and history. She has worked in retail, medical billing, catering, education and business fields. Her favorite occupation is that of wife and mother. She blogs at gelatoandchocolate.blogspot.com.
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- Big on opera: Utah Opera's artistic director...
- Donny Osmond releases app to promote upcoming...
- Behind the scenes of the Utah Shakespeare...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire asks...
- Sarah Palin launches online subscription channel
- Peru Fest community event celebrates culture,...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- Sarah Palin launches online... 6
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- Disney moves toward $10 hourly starting... 2
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for... 2
- James Garner was a singular talent with... 1
- Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton can't... 1
- Sherry Young: Moving — a life... 1