Book review: ‘Big Russ and Me — Father and Son: Lessons of Life’ shows the power of everyday fatherhood
"BIG RUSS AND ME — FATHER AND SON: Lessons of Life" by Tim Russert, Weinstein Books, $15.99, 340 pages (nf)
Growing up in South Buffalo as the son a World War II veteran, former NBC host of "Meet the Press" Tim Russert was surrounded by a neighborhood of hard-working families and good influences.
Russert shares these experiences and others he learned as a youth in "Big Russ and Me — Father and Son: Lessons of Life." In this 10th anniversary paperback printing, Tim Russert's son, Luke, shares his perspective.
Tim Russert’s father expected his son to be honest and get good grades. When Russert’s father, known as "Big Russ," was offered a bribe to dishonestly help another, he declined, although it meant the loss of a job promotion. He didn’t talk much about the lost opportunity, but Russert valued and followed his integrity.
This wonderfully written book is full of humor and memorable father-and-son experiences. The book has clean language and is a great way to learn more about the history of a famous baby boomer.
The late Russert was named by Time magazine as one of the 100 most influential people in 2008.
Elizabeth Reid has bachelor's degrees in economics and history. She has worked in retail, medical billing, catering, education and business fields. Her favorite occupation is that of wife and mother. She blogs at gelatoandchocolate.blogspot.com.
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Ron Perlman added to Salt Lake Comic Con...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its parks
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could help...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 7
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- EA Sports puts Damian Lillard on the... 2
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could... 2
- Miley Cyrus about VMA success: 'I'm in... 1
- 10 things to know before going to Salt... 1