AP Photo/IntelCenter, File
The release of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl for five Taliban prisoners held in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, has been received across the nation with mixed emotion, but more Americans feel the deal was not the right way to resolve the situation.
According to a poll conducted by Pew Research Center and USA Today, out of 1,004 adults surveyed, 43 percent felt that the exchange with the Taliban for Bergdahl was the "wrong thing" to do compared with the 34 percent who felt it was the "right thing." Twenty-three percent didn't offer an opinion.
Out of those who believed the deal was the wrong thing to do, 71 percent identified themselves as Republican. Of the Republicans surveyed, only 16 percent felt the exchange was the right thing to do. Conversely, 55 percent of Democrats felt the deal was the right thing to do compared with 24 percent who felt it was the wrong thing to do.
Although there is a partisan divide between whether the deal was a good idea or not, 56 percent of those surveyed believe the United States had the responsibility to return any solider who was taken captive during war, no matter the circumstances surrounding their capture. However, because Bergdahl allegedly abandoned his post in 2009 before he was captured, 29 percent felt that the government was not obligated to do everything in its power to retrieve him.
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican...
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by to watch
- 2 cops in New York City ambushed, fatally...
- 9 films advance in Oscars shortlist for best...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- 'Hobbit' goes out on top with $90.6 million...
- 10 years on, where did all the tsunami debris...
- Police: Fugitive killed Florida officer
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 33
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 18
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by... 12
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8