AP Photo/IntelCenter, File
The release of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl for five Taliban prisoners held in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, has been received across the nation with mixed emotion, but more Americans feel the deal was not the right way to resolve the situation.
According to a poll conducted by Pew Research Center and USA Today, out of 1,004 adults surveyed, 43 percent felt that the exchange with the Taliban for Bergdahl was the "wrong thing" to do compared with the 34 percent who felt it was the "right thing." Twenty-three percent didn't offer an opinion.
Out of those who believed the deal was the wrong thing to do, 71 percent identified themselves as Republican. Of the Republicans surveyed, only 16 percent felt the exchange was the right thing to do. Conversely, 55 percent of Democrats felt the deal was the right thing to do compared with 24 percent who felt it was the wrong thing to do.
Although there is a partisan divide between whether the deal was a good idea or not, 56 percent of those surveyed believe the United States had the responsibility to return any solider who was taken captive during war, no matter the circumstances surrounding their capture. However, because Bergdahl allegedly abandoned his post in 2009 before he was captured, 29 percent felt that the government was not obligated to do everything in its power to retrieve him.
- For a waitress, sexual harassment is an...
- After 1st Ebola case in NYC, 3 others...
- California orders churches, others to pay for...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- US: IS earns $1M per day in black market oil...
- White House fence jumper charged with assault
- Guantanamo prisoners in protest over women...
- Threat to break isolation in Liberia over food
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 116
- California orders churches, others to... 25
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex... 23
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 19
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- Chairman of Becket Fund for Religious... 10
- This type of high school can increase... 8
- For a waitress, sexual harassment is an... 8