AP Photo/IntelCenter, File
The release of Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl for five Taliban prisoners held in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, has been received across the nation with mixed emotion, but more Americans feel the deal was not the right way to resolve the situation.
According to a poll conducted by Pew Research Center and USA Today, out of 1,004 adults surveyed, 43 percent felt that the exchange with the Taliban for Bergdahl was the "wrong thing" to do compared with the 34 percent who felt it was the "right thing." Twenty-three percent didn't offer an opinion.
Out of those who believed the deal was the wrong thing to do, 71 percent identified themselves as Republican. Of the Republicans surveyed, only 16 percent felt the exchange was the right thing to do. Conversely, 55 percent of Democrats felt the deal was the right thing to do compared with 24 percent who felt it was the wrong thing to do.
Although there is a partisan divide between whether the deal was a good idea or not, 56 percent of those surveyed believe the United States had the responsibility to return any solider who was taken captive during war, no matter the circumstances surrounding their capture. However, because Bergdahl allegedly abandoned his post in 2009 before he was captured, 29 percent felt that the government was not obligated to do everything in its power to retrieve him.
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- 35 arrested in Oakland after protest march
- Rubber chickens, afros and clowns: A look at...
- Evangelicals with gay children challenging...
- These two things are helping California's...
- In Britain, US turkey dinner is big for business
- Immigration reform will boost the economy,...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 70
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in... 30
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell'... 29
- Ferguson businesses torched in... 17
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as... 15
- Obama immigration plan good, not great... 13
- Obama heads to Chicago to pitch... 13
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest... 12