Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Mayor Ben McAdams has named Martin Jensen as the new director of Salt Lake County Parks and Recreation.
Jensen has been serving as associate director of the county's department of community services.
Jensen has seven years' experience as a Salt Lake County employee, including as director of marketing and public relations for the parks department, and he has worked for NASA and the U.S. Forest Service.
“The future we choose for Salt Lake County includes a well-oiled parks and recreation department that works every day for the families who live, work and play along the Wasatch Front,” McAdams said. “I know Martin Jensen believes in the value of parks and recreation to families in our community and supports this effort.”
“I’m grateful for the opportunity to continue the tradition of providing diverse recreation opportunities for county residents,” Jensen said.
Michele Nekota, the department's former director, retired in April.
Jensen was named the outstanding professional of the year by the Utah Recreation and Parks Association in 2012. He has bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Utah State University. He also received a Master of Public Administration from the University of Utah and is a certified parks and recreation professional from the National Recreation and Parks Association.
- LDS missionary critically injured in Oklahoma...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Utah County teen made 'swatting' threats...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 41
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 34
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 28
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22