Jordan Allred, Deseret News
TAYLORSVILLE — A man was arrested Monday after police say he stabbed a man, then showed up with head injuries at the same hospital where the victim was being treated.
Alejandro Martinez showed up at his ex-girlfriend's house, 3294 W. Danube Drive (about 5600 South), around 10:20 p.m. Monday, according to Unified police detective Ken Hansen. Martinez demanded money from the woman, who refused to comply, Hansen said. When he started making threats, a man who was in the home confronted Martinez.
Martinez stabbed the man in each arm and the victim went to Intermountain Medical Center with serious injuries, Hansen said.
Police called Martinez, who agreed to meet investigators at the Taylorsville police station, but he never showed up, a Salt Lake County Jail report states. Officers later learned that he'd checked himself into the same hospital. "He had received an injury to his head which he claimed he received from being attacked by the victim. He stated that he fought back in self-defense and stabbed the victim," the report states.
After he was treated, police arrested Martinez and booked him into jail for investigation of aggravated assault.
— Whitney Evans
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 39
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 14
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13