SALT LAKE CITY — General manager Dennis Lindsey and team president Randy Rigby will travel to Boise on Tuesday morning to make what a press release forwarded from the Utah Jazz described as a "major announcement" regarding the future of basketball in Treasure Valley.
In other words, the Jazz and Idaho Stampede are finally going to announce what has previously been reported: They're joining together in an exclusive one-on-one affiliation.
This will be the third time Utah and Idaho have been partners, although this time the Jazz will be the Stampede's only NBA affiliate.
That exclusivity will benefit the Jazz as the NBA squad will be able to oversee basketball operations and run new coach Quin Snyder's offensive and defensive systems, making it more beneficial to send players to the D-League for assignments.
Boise is also only a quick flight from Salt Lake City. Getting to Bakersfield, home of the Jazz's last affiliate, the Jam, required two flights.
The Jazz and Stampede have had two previous working relationships, going back to the 2006-07 season.
Idaho was previously with Portland before the Blazers cut ties to handle all player development in-house. The Jazz lost their affiliation with Bakersfield when the Jam teamed up with the Phoenix Suns.
Utah has had five different affiliations with D-League teams since the NBA allowed player assignments in 2005. Those affiliates include: Albuquerque Thunderbirds (2005-06), Idaho Stampede (2006-07, 2011-12), Utah Flash (2007-11), Reno Bighorns (2012-13) and the Bakersfield Jam (2013-14).
With this development, the Fort Wayne Mad Ants will be the only one of 18 D-League teams without a single affiliation.
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out for...
- Gordon Hayward's buzzer-beater extends Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Empey evaluates BYU's O-line; recruit Haws to...
- Jazz notes: What happens when Joe Ingles...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon announces...
- BYU football hires former player Jack Damuni...
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 42
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 39
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 38
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 38
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 33
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 25