SALT LAKE CITY — General manager Dennis Lindsey and team president Randy Rigby will travel to Boise on Tuesday morning to make what a press release forwarded from the Utah Jazz described as a "major announcement" regarding the future of basketball in Treasure Valley.
In other words, the Jazz and Idaho Stampede are finally going to announce what has previously been reported: They're joining together in an exclusive one-on-one affiliation.
This will be the third time Utah and Idaho have been partners, although this time the Jazz will be the Stampede's only NBA affiliate.
That exclusivity will benefit the Jazz as the NBA squad will be able to oversee basketball operations and run new coach Quin Snyder's offensive and defensive systems, making it more beneficial to send players to the D-League for assignments.
Boise is also only a quick flight from Salt Lake City. Getting to Bakersfield, home of the Jazz's last affiliate, the Jam, required two flights.
The Jazz and Stampede have had two previous working relationships, going back to the 2006-07 season.
Idaho was previously with Portland before the Blazers cut ties to handle all player development in-house. The Jazz lost their affiliation with Bakersfield when the Jam teamed up with the Phoenix Suns.
Utah has had five different affiliations with D-League teams since the NBA allowed player assignments in 2005. Those affiliates include: Albuquerque Thunderbirds (2005-06), Idaho Stampede (2006-07, 2011-12), Utah Flash (2007-11), Reno Bighorns (2012-13) and the Bakersfield Jam (2013-14).
With this development, the Fort Wayne Mad Ants will be the only one of 18 D-League teams without a single affiliation.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 45
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 15
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7