Ute offensive coordinator Dave Christensen has ties to new Jazz coach Quin Snyder
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — New Utah Jazz coach Quin Snyder will see a familiar face in town. Snyder has a couple of ties to Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen. Besides Washington state roots, they were colleagues at the University of Missouri for a seven-year span from 1999-2006. Both rose to prominence with the Tigers — Snyder as head coach of the basketball team and Christensen as mastermind of a high-powered offense for the football program.
“We visited some. We were both busy at different seasons at different times,” Christensen said. “But I got to know him a little bit and he’s a good guy.”
Christensen, who grew up in Everett, Washington, and later coached college and high school ball in the area, recalls watching Snyder play at Mercer Island, Washington, and at Duke.
“I think he’ll do a great job. He’s got a great mind, a basketball mind,” Christensen said. “He’s been successful everywhere he’s been and I think he’ll have great success with the Utah Jazz.”
Christensen, who is six years older than Snyder, acknowledged it’s a small world being reunited with him in Utah.
“It is,” said Christensen, who plans to send Snyder an email soon. “It’s great to have him here.”
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week, moves up...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- Things won't get any easier for disappointed...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead, game to...
- Mike Sorensen: 5 reasons to be excited (or...
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on 'red-alert'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 280
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 87
- Things won't get any easier for... 64
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 50
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 37
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31
- Utah football pre-game day roundup:... 19