Ute offensive coordinator Dave Christensen has ties to new Jazz coach Quin Snyder
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — New Utah Jazz coach Quin Snyder will see a familiar face in town. Snyder has a couple of ties to Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen. Besides Washington state roots, they were colleagues at the University of Missouri for a seven-year span from 1999-2006. Both rose to prominence with the Tigers — Snyder as head coach of the basketball team and Christensen as mastermind of a high-powered offense for the football program.
“We visited some. We were both busy at different seasons at different times,” Christensen said. “But I got to know him a little bit and he’s a good guy.”
Christensen, who grew up in Everett, Washington, and later coached college and high school ball in the area, recalls watching Snyder play at Mercer Island, Washington, and at Duke.
“I think he’ll do a great job. He’s got a great mind, a basketball mind,” Christensen said. “He’s been successful everywhere he’s been and I think he’ll have great success with the Utah Jazz.”
Christensen, who is six years older than Snyder, acknowledged it’s a small world being reunited with him in Utah.
“It is,” said Christensen, who plans to send Snyder an email soon. “It’s great to have him here.”
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah State caps historic season with win over...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28