With high school soccer now in the rearview mirror, Cawley looks to blaze another trail. With offers to play collegiately all around the country, this time he opted to stay home. He has committed to play on the first ever men's soccer team at Utah Valley University for his former ODP coach Greg Maas.
"I'm more than excited to be making history," he said. "I know anything we do this whole entire year is going to be the first. I feel like we can go out there and shock people, and be the first to do it."
Cawley, an A-student in high school, has a full plate outside of soccer, volunteering time serving athletes with disabilities as well as at a senior citizens center. And while he remains focused on academics and will enter college working toward a degree in business, some of his long term goals still remain out on the soccer field.
"My ultimate goal is being a professional someday," he said. "I've learned already in my soccer career, you don't really ever know how you're going to get there, you just take what you're given, but I'm going to keep striving to do that."
Wigham has no doubt that whatever Cawley attempts to do, he will continue to find success.
"As good as he is on the field, he's an even better person off," Wigham said. "And he's really good on."
Sarah Thomas earned a degree in Mathematics from the University of Utah and is currently pursuing an MBA at Westminster College. She has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28