CAMP WILLIAMS — The Utah Training Center for the National Guard conducted a garrison change of command Saturday.
Col. Clark R. Roberts, commander of the Utah Training Center, relinquished command to Lt. Col. Tyler B. Smith, who was promoted to colonel immediately prior to the change of command.
Roberts, a Roy resident, has commanded the Utah Training Center since July 2012. He received the Iraq Campaign Medal with Bronze Service Star for his service in Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2005.
Smith, a Saratoga Springs resident, has been serving as the executive officer for the Utah Training Center. His former assignments include engineer company commander, engineer group plans officer, range control officer, assistant professor of military science, deputy inspector general, and commander of the 85th Weapons of Mass Destruction Civil Support Team.
Smith deployed to Saudi Arabia in support of Operation Desert Storm in 1991 and to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom in 2008. He is a recipient of the Bronze Star Medal for his wartime service.
Smith has a Master of Public Administration from BYU and is scheduled to graduate military War College in July.
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- The truth about addiction
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 52
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 37
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 28
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 13
- Precedents — and exceptions... 12