Scott Root, DWR
SALT LAKE CITY — Anglers and aspiring anglers can participate in a free seminar to learn how to catch kokanee salmon. Attendees will have a chance to win one of three guided kokanee salmon fishing trips.
Utah's Blue Ribbon Fisheries Advisory Council is offering the seminar at 7 p.m., Wednesday, June 18, at the Department of Natural Resources, 1594 W. North Temple.
"The seminar will give you the basics you need so you can feel confident pursuing this fish," said Paul Birdsey, cold water sport fisheries coordinator for the Division of Wildlife Resources. "Even experienced anglers should learn a thing or two."
Four kokanee salmon experts will present the seminar. Two of them — Wayne Leslie and Jared Johnson — are avid kokanee anglers. The remaining presenters, DWR biologists Alan Ward and Ryan Mosley, manage what are considered two of the best kokanee salmon fishing waters in Utah: Strawberry and Flaming Gorge reservoirs.
The seminar will cover biology and ecology of kokanee salmon; reading electronics, and control-depth fishing; tackle and rigging; and fishing Strawberry and Flaming Gorge
Presenters will take questions after the presentation.
For more information, call the DWR Salt Lake City office at 801-538-4700.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Icy roads blamed for Cedar City car crash...
- Local cowboys: A new foursome for the...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 6
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River... 6