Scott Root, DWR
SALT LAKE CITY — Anglers and aspiring anglers can participate in a free seminar to learn how to catch kokanee salmon. Attendees will have a chance to win one of three guided kokanee salmon fishing trips.
Utah's Blue Ribbon Fisheries Advisory Council is offering the seminar at 7 p.m., Wednesday, June 18, at the Department of Natural Resources, 1594 W. North Temple.
"The seminar will give you the basics you need so you can feel confident pursuing this fish," said Paul Birdsey, cold water sport fisheries coordinator for the Division of Wildlife Resources. "Even experienced anglers should learn a thing or two."
Four kokanee salmon experts will present the seminar. Two of them — Wayne Leslie and Jared Johnson — are avid kokanee anglers. The remaining presenters, DWR biologists Alan Ward and Ryan Mosley, manage what are considered two of the best kokanee salmon fishing waters in Utah: Strawberry and Flaming Gorge reservoirs.
The seminar will cover biology and ecology of kokanee salmon; reading electronics, and control-depth fishing; tackle and rigging; and fishing Strawberry and Flaming Gorge
Presenters will take questions after the presentation.
For more information, call the DWR Salt Lake City office at 801-538-4700.
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- Most wanted fugitive arrested in West Valley...
- UVU now the largest university in Utah, new...
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Vernal woman takes plea deal in child abuse case
- Thousands get in on blue foam craze for...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 58
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 41
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 32
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 24
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17