Scott Root, DWR
SALT LAKE CITY — Anglers and aspiring anglers can participate in a free seminar to learn how to catch kokanee salmon. Attendees will have a chance to win one of three guided kokanee salmon fishing trips.
Utah's Blue Ribbon Fisheries Advisory Council is offering the seminar at 7 p.m., Wednesday, June 18, at the Department of Natural Resources, 1594 W. North Temple.
"The seminar will give you the basics you need so you can feel confident pursuing this fish," said Paul Birdsey, cold water sport fisheries coordinator for the Division of Wildlife Resources. "Even experienced anglers should learn a thing or two."
Four kokanee salmon experts will present the seminar. Two of them — Wayne Leslie and Jared Johnson — are avid kokanee anglers. The remaining presenters, DWR biologists Alan Ward and Ryan Mosley, manage what are considered two of the best kokanee salmon fishing waters in Utah: Strawberry and Flaming Gorge reservoirs.
The seminar will cover biology and ecology of kokanee salmon; reading electronics, and control-depth fishing; tackle and rigging; and fishing Strawberry and Flaming Gorge
Presenters will take questions after the presentation.
For more information, call the DWR Salt Lake City office at 801-538-4700.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Police: Man confronts driver's ed student,...
- Man wanted for questioning in Tooele fire...
- Venezuela presents details in weapons case...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 27
- Can police-community relations be... 14
- Rep. Mia Love buying $1M in TV ads for... 14
- Giant algal bloom likely to fuel Utah... 10
- Appellate court upholds water rights... 8