WEST VALLEY CITY — City residents will see a monthly increase of $1.20 for basic garbage collection — one garbage can, one recycle can and monthly bulky waste collection — beginning July 1. It is the first price increase in six years.
The increase is necessary because Salt Lake Valley Landfill costs have increased by more than 40 percent in the past six years, according to a West Valley City press release.
The increased fees will allow the city to continue to maintain the service it provides. For basic service, the price will increase from $13.30 per month to $14.50 per month. The monthly charge for additional garbage cans will also increase to $9, up from $6.45.
As an incentive to reduce waste, West Valley City has decreased the cost of households obtaining an additional recycling can. Additional recycling cans will cost $3 a month, down from $6.45.
The city also offers neighborhood Dumpster collection; glass recycling at Public Works offices, 2805 S. 3600 West, and Fire Station 71, 4160 S. 6400 West; and electronic waste recycling, accepted at the Public Works building Monday through Thursday, 7 a.m.-5 p.m.
For more information, call 801-955-3720 or visit www.wvc-ut.gov/sanitation.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 81
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 35
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 33
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26