As a high school student of Bingham High, I suffer from the effects of society's need to watch competitions and sports.
Sports and work get all the glory, while the activities that discipline you and have been proven to make students smarter and more effective in school get left behind.
There have been many studies, and most if not all have shown that students involved in music and performance activities have higher GPAs and test scores. Music and all other performance type activities require perfection. They require discipline and skill.
Only the extremely good bands get recognized. The lower level ones don't get any recognition and thus get less funding. Give the orchestras, bands and symphonies the attention they deserve and the funds to be what they can be.
- Richard Davis: Latter-day Saints should... 190
- My view: Marriage and social justice go... 98
- Greg Bell: Defenders of religious... 86
- In our opinion: Religious freedom... 54
- In our opinion: It's time to scrutinize... 54
- Letter: Gun control 50
- Letter: Obama fans? 43
- Faith, family and freedom join to... 26