As a high school student of Bingham High, I suffer from the effects of society's need to watch competitions and sports.
Sports and work get all the glory, while the activities that discipline you and have been proven to make students smarter and more effective in school get left behind.
There have been many studies, and most if not all have shown that students involved in music and performance activities have higher GPAs and test scores. Music and all other performance type activities require perfection. They require discipline and skill.
Only the extremely good bands get recognized. The lower level ones don't get any recognition and thus get less funding. Give the orchestras, bands and symphonies the attention they deserve and the funds to be what they can be.
- John Florez: Businesses should help pay for...
- Letter: No labels in 2016?
- Arthur Cyr: US presidential politics reflects...
- Letter: Our public lands
- In our opinion: Research suggests that...
- My view: Your family stories have the power...
- Dan Liljenquist: What we learned from the...
- My view: The solution to Utah's water problems
- Richard Davis: Do presidents have to be... 56
- My view: Get insurance out of health care 49
- My view: Obama's veto won't save Obamacare 35
- In our opinion: Attempting to... 32
- My view: 'Death with dignity' and... 27
- In our opinion: Concerned voters a good... 23
- Dan Liljenquist: What we learned from... 19
- Mantua speed trap 17