As a high school student of Bingham High, I suffer from the effects of society's need to watch competitions and sports.
Sports and work get all the glory, while the activities that discipline you and have been proven to make students smarter and more effective in school get left behind.
There have been many studies, and most if not all have shown that students involved in music and performance activities have higher GPAs and test scores. Music and all other performance type activities require perfection. They require discipline and skill.
Only the extremely good bands get recognized. The lower level ones don't get any recognition and thus get less funding. Give the orchestras, bands and symphonies the attention they deserve and the funds to be what they can be.
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act needs...
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- My view: Powdr Corp and Park City Mountain...
- The relationship between religiosity and...
- Improving voter turnout still a tough nut to...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 74
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 53
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 39
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36
- Join the discussion: Is it impossible... 32