Woman killed after falling while hiking Donut Falls
BIG COTTONWOOD CANYON — A woman died after falling while hiking near Donut Falls in Big Cottonwood Canyon Saturday.
The 41-year-old Salt Lake County woman was hiking with family members when she slipped and fell approximately 100 feet around 2:30 p.m., Unified police detective Ken Hansen said. Both Unified police and Unified Fire Authority officials responded, but Hansen said it was apparent she had died following the fall.
Hansen said an increase of water due to run off made the popular hiking trail — and especially shale rock on the trail — more slippery.
"Because of the run off, it's a little different hike than it normally is," Hansen said.
Harvey McCain was hiking the trail with a friend Saturday
"The water is running pretty good, pretty fast, especially by the falls," McCain said. "We got up to the falls and somebody said we had to go back."
The trail was closed for a few hours as crews recovered the woman's body. Hansen said it had been reopened by 7 p.m.
"It's a beautiful, gorgeous spring day and it's terrible something like this happened," hiker Rex Kocherhans said.
Officials said accidents in Utah's canyons aren't unusual as warm weather invites more people outdoors. But Hansen urged anyone hiking along the Wasatch Front to make sure they have the proper footwear and equipment.
The woman's name has not been released, pending notification of family.
Contributing: Sandra Yi
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- About Utah: Utah Valley University fills a...
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Attorneys want BYU track team testimony...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- LDS apostle Elder David A. Bednar offers...
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns considering...
- Real Salt Lake proposes to pay for $18M...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 56
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 35
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 24
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 23
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 20
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 18
- New prison site not expected to be... 16
- Former Utah Speaker of the House Becky... 15