Dick Harmon: BYU, Utah, USU and SUU to benefit from trend of impatient quarterbacks transferring
Brandon Connette left Duke for Fresno State.
Michael Brewer left Texas Tech for Virginia Tech.
Nick Patti left Boise State for Central Florida.
Cody Sokol left Iowa for Louisiana Tech.
Andrew Hendrix left Notre Dame for Miami (Ohio).
Matt Joeckel left Texas A&M for TCU.
Pete Thomas left N.C. State for La. Monroe.
According to Jeremy Fowler of CBSsports.com, all the above ship jumpers will be eligible this coming season.
Then there are those who transferred and sat out 2013 and will be available for the coming season. This group includes:
Jacoby Brissett left Florida for N.C. State.
Wes Lunt left Oklahoma State for Illinois.
Gunner Kiel left Notre Dame for Cincinnati.
Phillip Ely at Alabama is at Toledo.
Connor Brewer left Texas popped for Arizona.
Blake Frohnapfel left Marshall for UMass.
Luke Del Rio left Alabama for Oregon State.
In 2015, there are at least two players like BYU’s Hosick and USU’s Hobbs who will be eligible after waiting to clear NCAA transfer rules. They include:
Tyler Matthews from TCU going to Southern Mississippi.
Jake Rodrigues from Oregon going to San Diego State.
If you look at this trend, two schools stick out as QB launchers for greener pastures of playing time. They are Alabama and Oregon.
The latest part of this trend is for college quarterbacks to get their academics on a fast track and be eligible to play right away if they get late into their careers and do not start — like Utah’s Thompson. A graduate can play immediately. Three such players at other positions will be on BYU's 2014 roster: Jordan Leslie (UTEP), Keanu Nelson (Stanford) and Harvey Jackson (Nebraska).
Heaps, the highly touted BYU signee who transferred to Kansas, is looking to graduate and immediately land at a yet-to-be announced school.
Thing is, to graduate this summer, Heaps must complete online classwork from BYU to play Division I ball as a transfer.
It’s a crazy world out there.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- Langi, Tuiloma to help anchor middle of BYU's...
- BYU football position preview: The...
- Dick Harmon: BYU workhorse running back Nate...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 68
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 59
- Morning links: Cougars examined by USA... 56
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 27