Salt Lake deputy police chief accused of sexual harassment resigns
SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake police deputy chief on leave amidst allegations of sexual harassment has resigned.
The department accepted the resignation this week of Deputy Chief Rick Findlay, who has been on paid administrative leave since November, ending the internal affairs investigation into harassment claims.
Findlay submitted his resignation April 15, according to the letter. He was found to be in violation of harassment prevention policies, conduct unbecoming a police employee and accessing inappropriate materials on a department phone.
Chief Chris Burbank said in a final determination letter dated Wednesday that while serving as a SWAT lieutenant, Findlay learned subordinate officers in his unit were sharing suggestive images of one of the department's female officers. Rather than report the activity, Findlay asked for an electronic address for the image, according to the letter.
Findlay accessed the image in early 2011, and using a department-issued smartphone showed the picture to as many as four subordinate officers while outside the office, the letter states.
Findlay also acquired images of two female officers in bikinis and showed them to another officer in the department. While traveling out of state on business with one of the female officers, Findlay reportedly showed the image to a man who was professionally acquainted with her, according the letter.
Burbank noted in the letter that Findlay's actions were unacceptable but did not warrant termination.
"Your contributions to the Salt Lake City Police Department throughout your career have been significant. It is unfortunate that your lack of judgement in this instance has such adverse impact," Burbank said in the letter. "Because of the involvement of subordinate officers, it has additionally called into question your ability to remain a leader in the organization."
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: McKenzieRomero
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Police chief of Myton charged with stalking 3...
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,...
- Provo ranked 4th most educated city in...
- Police: Panhandler pulls woman from car after...
- Love says commenting on Saratoga Springs...
- Uintah County man 'lucky to be alive' after...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 69
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Police break silence about... 49
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 31
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 25
- New definition of homeless would give... 21
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18