Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
TOOELE — A 5-year-old boy on a bike was killed Friday when he was hit by a garbage truck.
The boy was riding a bike with his sister near their home on McKellar Street about 1 p.m., police said. The boy rode into the side of the truck as it turned right and was dragged under the truck's rear wheels. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
"They have a pretty good rapport with the garbage truck driver and waved to him. It's not too uncommon for them to do this routine," said Tooele Police Capt. Paul Wimmer.
A family spokesman said the boy, Giacomo Riley Kelly, was helpful and funny. He would have celebrated his sixth birthday on Father's Day.
— McKenzie Romero
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- Utah woman's secret: Ted Bundy tried to kill...
- Arches National Park wants to ID those...
- Women called heroes for reviving high school...
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- BYU will buy Provo High School for $25M,...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support medical...
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 49
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah 48
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 47
- GOP's hard feelings over SB54 play part... 43
- Waiting on 'young invincibles' 40
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 23