Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
TOOELE — A 5-year-old boy on a bike was killed Friday when he was hit by a garbage truck.
The boy was riding a bike with his sister near their home on McKellar Street about 1 p.m., police said. The boy rode into the side of the truck as it turned right and was dragged under the truck's rear wheels. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
"They have a pretty good rapport with the garbage truck driver and waved to him. It's not too uncommon for them to do this routine," said Tooele Police Capt. Paul Wimmer.
A family spokesman said the boy, Giacomo Riley Kelly, was helpful and funny. He would have celebrated his sixth birthday on Father's Day.
— McKenzie Romero
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Duchesne County man pleads guilty to federal...
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 10
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Missionary, police testify against man... 8