Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
TOOELE — A 5-year-old boy on a bike was killed Friday when he was hit by a garbage truck.
The boy was riding a bike with his sister near their home on McKellar Street about 1 p.m., police said. The boy rode into the side of the truck as it turned right and was dragged under the truck's rear wheels. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
"They have a pretty good rapport with the garbage truck driver and waved to him. It's not too uncommon for them to do this routine," said Tooele Police Capt. Paul Wimmer.
A family spokesman said the boy, Giacomo Riley Kelly, was helpful and funny. He would have celebrated his sixth birthday on Father's Day.
— McKenzie Romero
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Inmate charged with sending threatening...
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 67
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15