Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
TOOELE — A 5-year-old boy on a bike was killed Friday when he was hit by a garbage truck.
The boy was riding a bike with his sister near their home on McKellar Street about 1 p.m., police said. The boy rode into the side of the truck as it turned right and was dragged under the truck's rear wheels. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
"They have a pretty good rapport with the garbage truck driver and waved to him. It's not too uncommon for them to do this routine," said Tooele Police Capt. Paul Wimmer.
A family spokesman said the boy, Giacomo Riley Kelly, was helpful and funny. He would have celebrated his sixth birthday on Father's Day.
— McKenzie Romero
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Race heating up as congressional Democrats...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- Logan man killed in Idaho car crash
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 40
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- Scalia's death leaves major void in... 36
- IRS raids properties with possible... 22
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11
- Race heating up as congressional... 11