High school rodeo: Davis County teen's passion for cow cutting turned his life around
"It was absolutely what he needed to give him his passion for life," Ian's mother said. "Maybe he wants to go to college now. He's a genius kid; he writes computer programs. He's really brilliant. I think that's why he struggled so much in school was because he was bored. Now he wants to go to college and have a good job, but he wants to always keep working with the horses, too.
"Life is hard, life is so hard. He knows he has to work hard, because if he doesn't get out and work he's not going to do very well and his horse isn't going to do well, either. We're very proud of what he's accomplished.
"It's given me a great opportunity to spend time with him, too," she said. "I've asked myself, 'What should a mom do to spend time with her 16-, 17-, 18-year-old kid?' They don't want to spend time with Mom. But it's been a good thing. It's given us a lot of bonding time and we've been all over the state and to nationals together."
Who knew that this special kind of "horsing around" could turn a young man's life around and help him climb out of that deep, dark hole?
His mom is pretty sure that at least one very special "person" knew.
"He was miserable; he really was miserable. He hated life, he really hated life," she said. "He's a different kid now. It's given him a lot of confidence.
"I just thank Heavenly Father every day. I do. It was an answer to prayers, it literally was. I didn't know where to turn, I didn't know what to do for him. And this was what he needed.
"That was it — what can I do for him?," she recalled wondering. "I was at a loss, I didn't know what to do. But that was the answer. It was just the perfect thing. God knew that's what he needed."
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Adam Law breaks...
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this working...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Utah Jazz: Terry Rozier’s toughness...
- Prep sports: All-Sports awards feature 2...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 45
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 43
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 40
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 16
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7