High school rodeo: Davis County teen's passion for cow cutting turned his life around
"It was absolutely what he needed to give him his passion for life," Ian's mother said. "Maybe he wants to go to college now. He's a genius kid; he writes computer programs. He's really brilliant. I think that's why he struggled so much in school was because he was bored. Now he wants to go to college and have a good job, but he wants to always keep working with the horses, too.
"Life is hard, life is so hard. He knows he has to work hard, because if he doesn't get out and work he's not going to do very well and his horse isn't going to do well, either. We're very proud of what he's accomplished.
"It's given me a great opportunity to spend time with him, too," she said. "I've asked myself, 'What should a mom do to spend time with her 16-, 17-, 18-year-old kid?' They don't want to spend time with Mom. But it's been a good thing. It's given us a lot of bonding time and we've been all over the state and to nationals together."
Who knew that this special kind of "horsing around" could turn a young man's life around and help him climb out of that deep, dark hole?
His mom is pretty sure that at least one very special "person" knew.
"He was miserable; he really was miserable. He hated life, he really hated life," she said. "He's a different kid now. It's given him a lot of confidence.
"I just thank Heavenly Father every day. I do. It was an answer to prayers, it literally was. I didn't know where to turn, I didn't know what to do for him. And this was what he needed.
"That was it — what can I do for him?," she recalled wondering. "I was at a loss, I didn't know what to do. But that was the answer. It was just the perfect thing. God knew that's what he needed."
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in spite...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 102
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 16