High school rodeo: Davis County teen's passion for cow cutting turned his life around
"It was absolutely what he needed to give him his passion for life," Ian's mother said. "Maybe he wants to go to college now. He's a genius kid; he writes computer programs. He's really brilliant. I think that's why he struggled so much in school was because he was bored. Now he wants to go to college and have a good job, but he wants to always keep working with the horses, too.
"Life is hard, life is so hard. He knows he has to work hard, because if he doesn't get out and work he's not going to do very well and his horse isn't going to do well, either. We're very proud of what he's accomplished.
"It's given me a great opportunity to spend time with him, too," she said. "I've asked myself, 'What should a mom do to spend time with her 16-, 17-, 18-year-old kid?' They don't want to spend time with Mom. But it's been a good thing. It's given us a lot of bonding time and we've been all over the state and to nationals together."
Who knew that this special kind of "horsing around" could turn a young man's life around and help him climb out of that deep, dark hole?
His mom is pretty sure that at least one very special "person" knew.
"He was miserable; he really was miserable. He hated life, he really hated life," she said. "He's a different kid now. It's given him a lot of confidence.
"I just thank Heavenly Father every day. I do. It was an answer to prayers, it literally was. I didn't know where to turn, I didn't know what to do for him. And this was what he needed.
"That was it — what can I do for him?," she recalled wondering. "I was at a loss, I didn't know what to do. But that was the answer. It was just the perfect thing. God knew that's what he needed."
- BYU football: Cougars face even more...
- Dick Harmon: Lone Peak's Quincy Lewis among...
- Bartley, Neilson leaving BYU's basketball team
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Nothing to frown about: 3 baby arrivals in 3...
- Yeomans: What does it mean for Jimmer...
- Utes' center Jakob Poeltl says he'll return...
- Soccer: Taylor Booth is a 13-year-old phenom...
- Utes' center Jakob Poeltl says he'll... 60
- BYU football: Cougars face even more... 42
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 35
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches 28
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 16
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a... 16
- Dick Harmon: Lone Peak's Quincy Lewis... 15