Mike DeBernardo, Deseret News
HOLLADAY — The recent incident in which a Brighton High School student died in a gun accident is raising concerns about gun safety.
The teen died after being accidentally shot when friends passed around a gun Wednesday night.
According to research published in JAMA Pediatrics, 22 percent of children with gun-owning parents have handled a firearm despite their parents reporting otherwise.
“When you choose not to lock up a gun, you don’t know whose hands it can get into,” said Miriam Walkingshaw, with Utah Parents Against Gun Violence.
In Utah, at least five children under the age of 18 have been accidentally shot and killed within the past six months, Walkingshaw said.
“Even if you don’t have guns, I think it’s important to talk to your kids about guns,” she said.
RAIN6 is a firearms training company at 4227 Highland Drive that teaches what it says every teen should know, including proper firearm handling and storage. RAIN6 co-founder James Story said preventing a nightmare begins with locking up the gun.
"This would come off of my hip, would go into my safe, and I’d make sure it’s secure,” Storey said of his gun.
But if a teen gets his or her hands on one, Story breaks down gun safety into three rules.
“Rule No. 1: Keep it pointed in a safe direction. Rule No. 2 would be keep your finger out of the trigger well until you’re ready to shoot,” he said. “The third thing is keep it unloaded until you’re ready to use it."
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- Fear of pending apocalypse led to...
- Man accused in BYU gropings accepts diversion...
- LDS statement could move Utah...
- Attorneys want BYU track team testimony...
- 'I feel like I do deserve to be here,' Dea...
- Bill would increase incentives for early high...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 172
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 60
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 37
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 35
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 25
- LDS statement could move Utah... 25
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 24
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 20