Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
According to a news release from the AACT, the award is “presented to individuals and organizations in recognition of contributions made to promote and develop the highest standards for community theatre.”
The center was founded in 1933 and now encompasses other venues, including SCERA Shell Outdoor Theatre, Orem Heritage Museum and SCERA Art Studios, as well as costume, scenery and prop buildings to support the center's theater productions. In addition to community theater productions, the venues host concerts and other cultural performances, as well as film screenings.
"Thousands have performed and fallen in love with theatre through their involvement at SCERA," according to a news release.
AACT will present SCERA with the award during the AACT International Theatre Festival in Venice, Florida, which takes place June 16-21.
AACT is based in Fort Worth, Texas, and "provides networking, resources and support to suit the needs of all those involved in community theatre," according to the organization's website.
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is...
- 10 books that you were forced to read in...
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its parks
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could help...
- Amish country bristles at... 10
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 7
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- Is 'Harry Potter' actually about mental... 2
- EA Sports puts Damian Lillard on the... 2
- Miley Cyrus about VMA success: 'I'm in... 1