CD: 'Til the Morning' soothes with peaceful harmonies, lyrics
"'TIL THE MORNING: Lullabies and Songs of Comfort," by Sarah Sample and Edie Carey, Groundloop Records, $15
Lullabies have likely been around since the first mother and child. Now, two mothers, award-winning artists Edie Carey and Salt Lake City resident Sarah Sample, have created a beautiful CD full of lullaby and folk-style music, "'Til the Morning: Lullabies and Songs of Comfort," that is scheduled to be released June 10.
Sample, a mother of two, and Carey, a mother of one after a long struggle with infertility, collaborated in creating an album of lullabies as singing to their children has become a focus in their lives, according to press materials.
Sample's original ballad "North Star" was written for her daughter, while "Sweet Sweet Dreams," co-written with Stephanie Mabey, is meant to comfort older children's fears. Carey's original compositions include "Your Own Stars," which was written for her son's innocent and worry-free disposition, as well as "These Things."
Each of the lullabies is soothing and peaceful. The well-balanced harmonies and instrumentation are ideal for calming and lulling little ones to sleep. Carey's and Sample's voices blend beautifully, which makes listening enjoyable for all ages.
Carey and Sample wanted this album to "honor the quiet moments between parent and child but also to acknowledge the struggle of infertility and the sometimes circuitous and painful road many people travel to become parents," according to press materials. Together, they support Resolve: The National Infertility Association.
These lullabies are well-suited for people of any age and are free of any offensive material. The CD could be a great addition for families in any stage of life or for anyone who needs a calming presence in his or her home.
Carey and Sample will be performing June 28 at the Salt Lake Arts Festival and July 18 at the Post Theater at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City.
If you go ...
What: Second Sunday Music Series at Tracy Aviary
When: Sunday, June 8, 1:30 p.m. (The Souvenirs at noon and bird show at 1 p.m.)
Where: Tracy Aviary, 589 E. 1300 South, Salt Lake City
Cost: Free to Tracy Aviary members; $7 for adults, $5 for children ages 3-12, $6 for seniors
What: Sarah Sample and Edie Carey live performance
When: Friday, July 18, 7 p.m.
Where: Post Theater at the University of Utah, 245 S. Fort Douglas Blvd., Salt Lake City
- Video game adaptation 'Ratchet & Clank' has...
- 'Mother's Day' means well but misses its mark...
- Five for Families: Live-action Disney films...
- Chris Hicks: 18 of Cary Grant's earliest...
- Fred Hersch Trio returns to S.L. after long...
- Chris Hicks: Sweet, insightful independent...
- Game review: Talisman Harbinger and Cataclysm...
- Chris Hicks: Agatha Christie’s most...
- Brewvies wants judge to stop DABC from... 6
- Comedian Brian Regan donates $10K... 2
- Chris Hicks: 18 of Cary Grant's... 1
- 'Mother's Day' means well but misses... 1
- Chris Hicks: Agatha Christie’s... 0
- Library hosting May the 4th Be With You... 0
- A family business: Bryce Canyon's... 0
- Game review: Talisman Harbinger and... 0