Utah pitchers Mitch Watrous and Nick Green each drafted in second day of MLB Draft
Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
The San Diego Padres drafted Utah junior pitcher Mitch Watrous in the eighth round of the 2014 Major League Baseball first-year player draft Friday afternoon, becoming the first player from the state taken in this year's draft.
Fellow Ute pitcher Nick Green was drafted two rounds later, going 303rd overall by the Kansas City Royals in the 10th round.
Watrous, who also is a Riverton High School alumnus, was selected 237th overall by the Padres and was the third pitcher taken by the team in the draft. North Carolina-Charlotte righty Ryan Butler and Rice pitcher Zech Lemond were taken in previous rounds by San Diego.
The righty went 3-7 with a 3.91 ERA in 15 starts with the Utes this past season. In three seasons with Utah, Watrous compiled a 3.39 ERA.
Green, a Cottonwood High School product, was 2-4 with a 4.26 ERA in 23 appearances as a senior with the Utes. The lefty was 4-8 with a 3.94 career ERA at Utah.
He follows first round picks, TCU pitcher Brandon Finnegan and high school pitcher Foster Griffin, and third-round pick Eric Skoglund as left-handed pitchers selected by Kansas City.
The deadline for drafted players to sign with their respective drafted teams is July 18.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 54
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28