Texas sheriff's deputy killed in Uintah County motorcycle crash
Geoff Liesik, Deseret News
NAPLES, Uintah County — A sheriff's deputy from Texas was killed Thursday in a motorcycle crash on U.S. 40 east of Naples, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
David G. Glenn was riding east toward Colorado with two other motorcyclists about 6 p.m. when the crash happened near the intersection of 3700 East and U.S 40.
"One vehicle was stopped, waiting for traffic to clear to make a left-hand turn," UHP trooper Nick Richins said. "Two vehicles had stopped behind it. The last vehicle stopped quickly, and the motorcycles weren't able to stop fast enough, resulting in the impact."
The collision with the back of the pickup truck sent Glenn into the westbound lane, where he was hit by an oncoming sport-utility vehicle, Richins said. He died at the scene.
Glenn, 55, was a member of the Midland County Sheriff's Office in Midland, Texas.
A second motorcyclist also hit the back of the truck, but suffered only sore ribs, troopers said.
The third motorcyclist was able to stop before striking the truck, but his bike went into a slide. He was taken to Ashley Regional Medical Center with injuries that did not appear to be life-threatening, troopers said.
The crash closed U.S. 40 for several hours. No citations have been issued, Richins said, because the investigation is ongoing.
— Geoff Liesik
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Attorneys want BYU track team testimony...
- LDS apostle Elder David A. Bednar offers...
- Fear of pending apocalypse led to...
- LDS statement could move Utah...
- About Utah: Utah Valley University fills a...
- 'I feel like I do deserve to be here,' Dea...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 103
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 60
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 35
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 33
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 25
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 24
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 20
- Utah residents rank air pollution as... 19