Texas sheriff's deputy killed in Uintah County motorcycle crash
Geoff Liesik, Deseret News
NAPLES, Uintah County — A sheriff's deputy from Texas was killed Thursday in a motorcycle crash on U.S. 40 east of Naples, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
David G. Glenn was riding east toward Colorado with two other motorcyclists about 6 p.m. when the crash happened near the intersection of 3700 East and U.S 40.
"One vehicle was stopped, waiting for traffic to clear to make a left-hand turn," UHP trooper Nick Richins said. "Two vehicles had stopped behind it. The last vehicle stopped quickly, and the motorcycles weren't able to stop fast enough, resulting in the impact."
The collision with the back of the pickup truck sent Glenn into the westbound lane, where he was hit by an oncoming sport-utility vehicle, Richins said. He died at the scene.
Glenn, 55, was a member of the Midland County Sheriff's Office in Midland, Texas.
A second motorcyclist also hit the back of the truck, but suffered only sore ribs, troopers said.
The third motorcyclist was able to stop before striking the truck, but his bike went into a slide. He was taken to Ashley Regional Medical Center with injuries that did not appear to be life-threatening, troopers said.
The crash closed U.S. 40 for several hours. No citations have been issued, Richins said, because the investigation is ongoing.
— Geoff Liesik
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 60
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 57
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 53
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 43
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Utah high school students unprepared... 15