Texas sheriff's deputy killed in Uintah County motorcycle crash
Geoff Liesik, Deseret News
NAPLES, Uintah County — A sheriff's deputy from Texas was killed Thursday in a motorcycle crash on U.S. 40 east of Naples, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
David G. Glenn was riding east toward Colorado with two other motorcyclists about 6 p.m. when the crash happened near the intersection of 3700 East and U.S 40.
"One vehicle was stopped, waiting for traffic to clear to make a left-hand turn," UHP trooper Nick Richins said. "Two vehicles had stopped behind it. The last vehicle stopped quickly, and the motorcycles weren't able to stop fast enough, resulting in the impact."
The collision with the back of the pickup truck sent Glenn into the westbound lane, where he was hit by an oncoming sport-utility vehicle, Richins said. He died at the scene.
Glenn, 55, was a member of the Midland County Sheriff's Office in Midland, Texas.
A second motorcyclist also hit the back of the truck, but suffered only sore ribs, troopers said.
The third motorcyclist was able to stop before striking the truck, but his bike went into a slide. He was taken to Ashley Regional Medical Center with injuries that did not appear to be life-threatening, troopers said.
The crash closed U.S. 40 for several hours. No citations have been issued, Richins said, because the investigation is ongoing.
— Geoff Liesik
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- City officals say North Salt Lake not liable...
- Uintah County homicide victim always willing...
- Couple struggling with fertility now...
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an impoverished...
- FBI director touches on Ferguson shooting,...
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of...
- Utah argues for more time to file appeal in...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 53
- Vernal man claims police arrested him... 37
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 20
- Utah argues for more time to file... 20
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 17
- First scores from SAGE testing expected... 13