Mendenhall tells Texas newspaper, 'We would love to be in the Big 12'
Tony Gutierrez, ASSOCIATED PRESS
BYU head football coach Bronco Mendenhall made his case for the Cougars' inclusion in the Big 12 Conference on Thursday.
He told the Austin American-Statesman that it "would make a lot of sense for BYU" to be added to the Power 5 league.
"Our attendance is high enough. And our winning percentage is high enough," Mendenhall said. "We have the entire Salt Lake City and Utah market as well as a worldwide following because of the church. There’d be a ton to offer the Big 12 because it’s a money-generated world right now. You’re talking about an amazing kind of brand."
In addition to talking to Mendenhall, the American-Statesmen talked to two Big 12 sources that despite the Cougars' strong case for inclusion, they said BYU's chances are slim.
Read the entire story here.
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Friday fracas: Trevor Booker nearly hit, gets...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most worthy of...
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA:...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 65
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 44
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 29
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Friday morning QB: Three stars and five... 23