Despite the odds, D-Day troops 'didn't hesitate a minute'

Published: Thursday, June 5 2014 5:00 p.m. MDT

A photo of Howard Clements from 1946 while he was serving in World War II is in his scrapbook on Wednesday, June 4, 2014.

Laura Seitz, Deseret News

COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — Howard Clements was in the third wave of soldiers who stormed the beaches of Normandy 70 years ago on June 6, 1944.

On a recent summer day, wearing an American flag pin on his shirt and breathing with one lung and the assistance of an oxygen tank, the 90-year-old recalled the events of that fateful day. Even seven decades later, there are some experiences that always bring him to tears.

"Half of us were going to be killed. They told us that. But everybody went anyway," he said, his voice breaking as he began to cry. "They didn't hesitate a minute, and neither did I."

His family knew none of those details until eight years ago when he was finally ready to talk about it. Now 2nd Lt. Earl Howard Clements brings up his experiences whenever he can.

"It's been quite haunting for him," said Patti Clements, his daughter-in-law.

Clements was among the 160,000 Allied troops who landed along a 50-mile coastline to fight Nazi troops on the beaches of Normandy in France, according to the U.S. Army.

He is also one of 8,840 surviving World War II veterans in Utah, according to the United States Department of Veterans affairs.

More than 5,000 ships and 13,000 aircraft assisted in the invasion. By the end of the day now known as D-Day, Allied troops had established a foothold in Normandy.

More than 9,000 Allied soldiers were killed or wounded in Normandy. From the victory in France, more than 100,000 soldiers started to march through Europe to claim victory over Nazi troops. Clements and others walked or rode in tanks from France to Germany. Miraculously, Clements was never injured in the war.

"The eyes of the world are upon you," General Dwight D. Eisenhower told Allied troops before the 1944 invasion.

After graduating from Park City High School in 1942, Clements was told that he would be drafted into the military in a matter of weeks or months. The following spring he received a letter from President Franklin D. Roosevelt, ordering him to report for active duty.

"There wasn't anybody that didn't go. Every one of us went. Unless you were missing a leg, or an eye, or an arm or something, you had to go," Clements said.

Tension filled the country that was at war with Germany and Japan. Those who were able to serve felt the need to prepare for war. Clements and others spent 17 weeks in basic training.

"I'm telling ya, they made a bunch of pansies, they made us tough nuts," he said. "We could run 10 miles without blinking an eye."

Clements, then a sergeant in the third army, did not know about the attack on Normandy until his ship was on its way to the Port of Southampton, England. Depth charges that dropped while the crew was traveling to France rocked the boat of 5,000 men, who slept on bunk beds five people deep.

"Everybody was just on pins and needles, really, in the process of not knowing what was going to happen," Clements said.

He and those in his platoon climbed down a rope net and into a landing craft. Once they arrived on Utah Beach, the troops made their way toward the cliffs of Normandy. The thoughts "Just stay alive. Just stay alive and help my squad to stay alive" were running through his mind.

He was never injured in the war, but he developed asthma and lung problems as a result of inhaling Creosote fumes that had been applied to the tanks and exhaust.

Clements is able to look upon some of his experiences with a bit of humor. He was trained in throwing hand grenades and carried a bag of eight grenades with him. Whenever he had a moment to rest or sleep, he would use the bag of explosives as a pillow.

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere