MILLCREEK — The body of a 40-year-old woman was found in a canal behind a parking lot Wednesday.
A man had parked near the canal at 4140 S. Highland Drive on Wednesday afternoon and spotted the woman's body, Salt Lake County Sheriff Jim Winder said.
The woman's death does not appear to be suspicious, Winder said. Investigators believe the woman's body was in the river for less than 24 hours.
Winder said it appears the woman slid into the canal about 30 to 40 yards away from where it was found. Police are working to determine why she couldn't get herself out of the canal, which is less than 2 feet deep.
Police have identified the woman, Winder said. The woman's name was not immediately released pending family notification.
— McKenzie Romero
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 23
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 20
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17