Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy signs rookie contract with Detroit Lions
Carlos Osorio, AP
Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy has signed his rookie NFL contract with the Detroit Lions, team writer Tim Twentyman confirmed Wednesday afternoon.
Twentyman reported Van Noy's four-year deal is worth an estimated $5.1 million, with a $2 million signing bonus.
It's official!!!! So blessed to have this opportunity! Hard work pays off!!! pic.twitter.com/ZhMZLlOlYq— Kyle Van Noy (@KVN_03) June 4, 2014
Van Noy was drafted 40th overall in the second round of this year's NFL draft. He missed organized team activities Tuesday with back problems, according to Detroit Free Press writer Dave Birkett.
“It’s hard to tell right now with no pads and all this stuff, but he learns well, he can run," Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin told reporters Tuesday about Van Noy. "He has all the things that we thought when we drafted him.”
Van Noy is expected to challenge Ashlee Palmer for Detroit's starting position at strong-side linebacker, and nfl.com's Gregg Rosenthal projects the BYU product will be a Week 1 starter in 2014. Palmer started 10 games for the Lions last season.
Van Noy is reunited with former BYU teammate Ezekiel Ansah. Ansah has not been able to practice during a previous minicamp and in OTAs because of offseason shoulder surgery, but Kyle Meinke of mlive.com reported he is showing up to the team activities and will be there again for a mandatory minicamp next week.
“He’ll do what we’re asking our rush ends to do. He’s going to rush, he’s going to drop, he’s going to move to different positions," Austin said of Ansah. "He’s going to do some different things. He’s going to be required to do just what we’re asking all the other guys to do right now, so he’s going to have some catching up to do.
"But I believe he’s a bright guy. He’s been here the whole time, so he’s getting it. He’s just not getting the actual reps.”
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 30
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21