A mother, President Packer and an LDS convert: A look at the lives, sacrifices of seminary teachers
“I know that you never, ever turn down a calling. I knew I couldn’t lay on the sofa. I knew I would have to study, get up early and clean my house. But it changed my life for the better. It was the best thing that ever happened to me.”
The call to teach gave Franklin a new purpose, a sense of service and two young lives to influence, she said. She has taught for three years now and is keenly aware of what youths deal with on a daily basis. She does her best to create a fun learning atmosphere in her home and openly shares experiences from her life. Both students have said they want to serve missions.
“I’m really excited about that. I have always admired the mothers of the 2,000 (sons of Helaman),” said Franklin, who describes herself as “no nonsense.” “I don’t have 2,000, but I have two, and I can listen to them and be a friend and a grandmother type but not a mushy grandmother.”
Griffiths greatly respects teachers like Franklin, Yates and many others who are often unsung heroes in the LDS Church but who make such a difference.
"When all is said and done, and the grand story of the church is written, and we can finally understand how everything came out, it will be those lower-level Saints, President J. Reuben Clark’s 'Saints of the last wagon,' that we need to stand and recognize," Griffiths said. "Those people do make church history. It's not necessarily as much about seeing a vision as it is having a testimony and fulfilling a calling."
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- 35 memorable photos from the LDS Church News...
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new movie,...
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian faith...
- 2 LDS teens create video to share Mormon beliefs
- 1964 World's Fair pavilion had far-reaching...
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 18
- LDS Church leaders share excitement for... 14
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members 10
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote... 6
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be... 6
- 1964 World's Fair pavilion had... 5
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new... 5