Dick Harmon: BYU AD Tom Holmoe needs to use NCAA committee opportunity to make new friends
Imagine that. No Ainge play, regarded as one of the most exciting clutch moments in tournament history.
“It’s a real feather in Tom’s cap to be on that committee,” said Hale.
In his opinion, over the years, Hale believes the NCAA selection committee has dealt BYU a series of bad seeds. “They’ve dissed BYU with horrible seeds, and having BYU’s athletic director on that committee will help in that regard.”
Of note, athletic directors and conference commissioners on the committee leave the room when their respective teams and conferences are voted on. But that doesn’t mean their influence doesn’t linger. USU’s Barnes likely helped BYU receive a higher bid than many thought they deserved this past season.
Not having a football conference affiliation and other ADs protecting one’s back could be considered another reason independent BYU needs the slot.
But Hale said that isn’t always the case.
“Even when BYU was in a conference, I’m not sure other conference representatives went to bat for BYU. I think BYU rarely got a fair shake. Some of our best supporters were usually from other conferences who liked BYU and had great relationships with our athletic directors.
“(NCAA committee members) like to say they’re objective, just like reporters like to say they’re objective, but I think there’s a natural bias that comes into play.”
The LaDell Andersen anecdote, according to Hale, shows how important it is to have the right people going to bat for you.
Moral to this news story?
BYU needs to get back in the ambassador business the school had with Edwards back in the day. Holmoe may or may not become that person. NCAA leadership positions are important. BYU golf coach Bruce Brockbank will also serve on the NCAA golf championship committee beginning this month.
But Holmoe's perch on the NCAA basketball committee is a start.
And his Cougars need all the allies, pals, chums and amigos they can snuggle up to in 2014.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 93
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 87
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 75
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 55
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of... 20