Cookbook review: 'Easy Everyday Gluten-Free Cooking' shares simple recipes for any meal
Editor's note: This is one of several cookbooks and other informational books that cater to specific medical issues have crossed our desks recently. While books like these can help supplement a diet or treatment, they should be coupled with the advice of medical professionals.
"EASY EVERYDAY GLUTEN-FREE COOKING," by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt, Robert Rose Publishers, $24.95, 385 pages
A gluten-free diet doesn’t have to be restrictive and flavorless. Donna Washburn and Heather Butt make gluten-free cooking simple and delicious with their book, “Easy Everyday Gluten-Free Cooking.”
The cookbook contains 250 recipes divided into 10 different categories, including breakfasts, soups and salads, main dishes, breads, desserts and more.
The first portion of the cookbook offers an explanation of what “gluten-free” really means. Washburn and Butt describe in detail the variety of gluten-free starches and flours used in their recipes. They also offer tips for traveling, eating out and packing lunches gluten-free.
"Easy Everyday Gluten-Free Cooking" has an in-depth introduction that can help a cook new to gluten-free cooking, and the recipes are laid out in an easy-to-read and organized format, with only one recipe per page. The authors include helpful tips and nutritional values for each recipe along with a wide variety of recipes and meal ideas that will help please the entire family — including those that don't have a gluten intolerance.
However, there aren't any photos with the actual recipes — the few photos included are grouped in the middle of the book, and many of the recipes contain multiple different flours/starches and need a lot of different ingredients for one recipe.
Overall, the cookbook provides creative, well-thought-out and delicious recipes for cooking and baking gluten-free.
Sarah Romero is a journalism and photography student at Utah State University. Her email is email@example.com.
- These touching Christmas ads will melt any...
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes
- BYUtv docudrama 'Joan of Arc' shares...
- Coloring books offer adults something they...
- 'Music and the Spoken Word': When Christmas...
- Surprising success: 'A Charlie Brown...
- Salt Lake chef wins round in 'Holiday Baking...
- Defending the Faith: Reasons for gratitude on...
- Steve Eaton: 'Bewitched' apparitions... 8
- Defending the Faith: Reasons for... 5
- BYUtv docudrama 'Joan of Arc' shares... 2
- 6 things to help you cope with the end... 2
- Lexi Walker performs arrangement of... 2
- These touching Christmas ads will melt... 1
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes 1
- Surprising success: 'A Charlie Brown... 1