Utah Highway Patrol
MYTON, Duchesne County — Two people were injured Wednesday in a crash that briefly shut down multiple lanes of U.S. 40 east of Myton, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
The crash happened about 10:20 a.m. when the driver of a Mitsubishi 3000 approached a semitrailer from behind and made an evasive maneuver to avoid colliding with the back of the truck, UHP Cpl. Brett Hansen said.
The car, driven by Kirk Cairns, 46, of Whiterocks, swerved into oncoming traffic and struck a Chevy pickup truck occupied by Leland and Teresa Potter, of Roosevelt, Hansen said.
Firefighters extricated Cairns from his car. He was taken to Uintah Basin Medical Center, where he was stabilized before being flown by helicopter to Intermountain Medical Center in critical condition with multiple leg fractures and facial injuries, Hansen said.
Teresa Potter, 58, was also taken to Uintah Basin Medical Center. She suffered chest injuries that did not appear to be life-threatening, Hansen said. Her husband was not injured.
Hansen noted that the Potters were both wearing seat belts, but Cairns was not.
"This is another example of how the simple act of clicking your seat belt when you get in a car can make the difference of walking away from a horrible crash like this with no or only minor injuries or being life-flighted with possibly lethal consequences," the corporal said.
No citations have been issued because the investigation is still ongoing.
— Geoff Liesik
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer for...
- Police: ICU evacuated after man barricades...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 94
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- LDS Church asks court to void subpoena... 11
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8
- Brother, sister hugged each other as... 8
- Prosecutors say Jeremy Johnson should... 7