Utah Highway Patrol
MYTON, Duchesne County — Two people were injured Wednesday in a crash that briefly shut down multiple lanes of U.S. 40 east of Myton, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
The crash happened about 10:20 a.m. when the driver of a Mitsubishi 3000 approached a semitrailer from behind and made an evasive maneuver to avoid colliding with the back of the truck, UHP Cpl. Brett Hansen said.
The car, driven by Kirk Cairns, 46, of Whiterocks, swerved into oncoming traffic and struck a Chevy pickup truck occupied by Leland and Teresa Potter, of Roosevelt, Hansen said.
Firefighters extricated Cairns from his car. He was taken to Uintah Basin Medical Center, where he was stabilized before being flown by helicopter to Intermountain Medical Center in critical condition with multiple leg fractures and facial injuries, Hansen said.
Teresa Potter, 58, was also taken to Uintah Basin Medical Center. She suffered chest injuries that did not appear to be life-threatening, Hansen said. Her husband was not injured.
Hansen noted that the Potters were both wearing seat belts, but Cairns was not.
"This is another example of how the simple act of clicking your seat belt when you get in a car can make the difference of walking away from a horrible crash like this with no or only minor injuries or being life-flighted with possibly lethal consequences," the corporal said.
No citations have been issued because the investigation is still ongoing.
— Geoff Liesik
- Video: How to choose the right helmet for...
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate legal...
- Body of missing hiker found above Alta
- Documents: Former teacher says he used to...
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald Trump...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- Worthy of celebration: 99-year history of...
- Syracuse woman killed in Antelope Drive crash
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 32
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21